What do we recycle?
Paper - copier papers, envelopes, printer paper, letterhead, discarded mail, telephone books, postcards, paperboard (cereal boxes or chipboard) magazines, and catalogs. Shredded paper can also be recycled if it is properly bagged (and closed!).
Aluminum Cans & Plastics Bottles – right now we collect drink bottles and cans. These can be collected in one container.
Cardboard – cardboard should be flattened and placed near any community recycling station.
Ink jet and toner cartridges – Staff Council has recycling stations around campus. The recycled cartridges help fund staff scholarships.
Metal – a large metal recycling bin collects material from construction projects.
Cardboard – cardboard is bailed and sent off site for recycling.
Tires, motor oil, oil filters, car batteries are all collected in the University Garage.
Light bulbs – EH&S ensures that all light bulbs are properly recycled. Mercury is collected, metal and glass are recycled.
Compost / Organic Waste – all plant material from our landscaping crew is collected and composted onsite. Pre-consumer food waste at the Dining Hall is collected, too.
Special Wastes that are recycled
E-Waste – gets sent to surplus
University Village and the Residence Halls have single-stream, co-mingled recycling bins. Residents can add the following items to these recycling bins:
- Plastic – any plastic with recycle symbols (#1-7)
- Paper – white, colored, junk mail, envelopes are all OK
- Cardboard – should be flattened
- Aluminum – empty soft drink cans and aluminum foil
- Metal – all types of metal! Size should be limited to 2' x 2'
- Bags of bags – plastic wrap and plastic bags should be bagged before placing in the recycling bin