Undergraduate Transfer Orientation
Congratulations on your admission to UT Dallas! One of your first steps toward a successful transition to UT Dallas is to register for and attend Transfer Orientation. At Transfer Orientation you will learn about UT Dallas resources, meet with academic advising, and begin the process of registering for classes.
Transfer Orientation is mandatory for all transfer students. Sessions will reach capacity quickly and are filled on a first-come first-served basis. Due to the complicated nature of academically advising transfer students, we do not accept student walk-in registrations on the day of Transfer Orientation.
Transfer Orientation Spring 2016 Dates
Please review your schedule carefully before registering for Transfer Orientation. Once paid, the Transfer Orientation fee is non-refundable or transferable to a different date.
Transfer Orientation check in for pre-registered students and guests will begin at 7:30am. The first session will begin promptly at 8:00am. The day will end at approximately 4:00pm.
Students who are more than 30 minutes late to orientation for any reason will need to register and pay to attend an upcoming orientation.
Transfer Orientation registration will close one week prior to the orientation date or when the date reaches seating capacity.
Saturday, December 5, 2015
Wednesday, December 16, 2015
Register to Attend Transfer Orientation
In order to register to attend Transfer Orientation at UT Dallas, students will need to complete a Pre-Transfer Orientation activity and take a quiz in eLearning. Once a student receives a 100% grade on their quiz, a link will be made available in eLearning to register and pay for Transfer Orientation.
Students will need their NetID, NetID password, UTD-ID Number and a UT Dallas email address to complete the steps below.
1. Notify UT Dallas of your intent to enroll. The intent to enroll will be completed in Galaxy. This is the same place a student checked on their application status during the application process. Students should complete this step as soon as possible. It could take up to one week to move from Step 1 to Step 2.
2. Log into eLearning with NetID and NetID password.
3. Complete the Pre-Transfer Orientation Activity and take a quiz.
4. The Transfer Orientation registration link will become available in eLearning after a student receives a score of 100 on their quiz. Use the link to register for and to pay to attend Transfer Orientation. You will be able to register yourself and one guest.
The information below may assist the students with the Transfer Orientation registration steps:
Students can find their UTD-ID Number at the bottom of their admission letter. The UTD-ID number starts with 20 or 40. It is a 10 digit number with no letters. Example: 2012345678.
The Net ID is a mix of numbers and letters. Example: abc123456.
Students can sign in to Galaxy to access email, eLearning, My Parking and all the Orion Self-Service tools (e.g., Student Center, Academic Records, etc.).
eLearning FAQ for students
eLearning technical support
The UT Dallas Help Desk is your go-to resource for campus technology questions.
NetID vs UTD-ID Number
Complete Prior to Attending Transfer Orientation
• Remove holds. Please read hold information at bottom of this page.
• Check your UT Dallas email on a regular basis.
• Apply for financial aid and/or student veteran benefits.
• Apply for housing. Please note housing fills up quickly!
Students who pre-register to attend Transfer Orientation will receive session information by email. All email communication will be sent to the student’s UT Dallas email address. Information will not be sent to a student’s personal email account. The final email with the one day temporary parking permit, campus map and orientation details will be sent one week before your orientation session to the students UT Dallas email address.
Guests at Orientation
UT Dallas students are able to bring one guest to Transfer Orientation. This is optional. Due to the nature of some of the material covered, guests under the age of 16 are not encouraged to attend.
Students are able to register and pay for a guest at the same time they register for orientation.
If a student has already registered to attend orientation and would like to add a guest, please call 972-883-6172. Walk-ins will not be permitted to attend. Guests can only be added if seating capacity has not been reached for the event. Guests must be added at least one week prior to the orientation date.
Academic Advising and Class Registration
All new UT Dallas students are required to attend Transfer Orientation. Orientation will include a group academic advising session, in which you will be given specific degree plan and registration information. Students can register for classes after they are admitted to UT Dallas, complete a Pre-Transfer Orientation activity, attend Transfer Orientation, and have all holds removed.
Some offices may require you to meet with academic advising after the Transfer Orientation date in order to register for classes. Be sure to check with your academic advising office regarding appointment availability and walk-in opportunities. Students are encouraged to register for Transfer Orientation as soon as possible to ensure the best possible class selection.
Spring 2016 class registration begins on Monday, October 26, 2015
Summer 2016 class registration begins on Monday, April 4, 2016
Fall 2016 class registration begins on Monday, March 28, 2016
Holds on Your Account
Holds on your account may prevent you from registering for classes. New UT Dallas students have holds to attend Transfer Orientation. Holds can take several business days to resolve. Please aim to have all holds removed one week prior to attending Transfer Orientation. Additional holds with other departments could also prevent you from registering. For details about remaining holds, check your student account at galaxy.utdallas.edu.
Examples of new transfer student holds are listed below. Students should review their personalized list of holds and “To Do List” items in Orion:
- Transfer Orientation — register to attend Transfer Orientation (see top of page).
- Application Fee — contact Admission and Enrollment Services.
- TSI — this hold will be discussed with your academic advisor at transfer orientation.
- Cannot Register Online — this hold will be discussed with your academic advisor at transfer orientation.
- Bacterial Meningitis — contact the Registrar. Please note that this hold can take several business days to resolve. Students should resolve this hold as soon as possible.
- Int'l Hold: ISSO — Students who have this hold will attend an International Orientation. Please contact the International Center as soon as possible.
- TB Test — contact the Student Health Center. Please note that this hold can take several business days to resolve. Students should resolve this hold as soon as possible.
Financial Aid cannot process an award until you are admitted to UT Dallas. It is recommended for you to submit the FAFSA and all paperwork at least two weeks before the deadline. Students should also check their "To Do List" through Orion Self-Service for any outstanding documents.
New Student Financial Aid Priority Processing Deadlines:
Spring 2016 - Thursday, October 15, 2015
Summer 2016 - Wednesday, March 31, 2016
Fall 2016 -TBD
The priority deadline for the TEXAS Grant and the Texas Top 10 Percent Scholarship is October 15.
Students who do not meet the priority deadlines indicated above risk not being considered for financial aid programs that are subject to annual appropriations. You will still be considered for the Federal Pell Grant, the Federal Direct Stafford Loan and for dependent students, the Federal Direct PLUS Loan.
Students may still complete a FAFSA or TASFA if you do not meet the priority deadline. However, FAFSA and TASFA applications must be applications must be submitted at least three weeks before the end of the term in which you are enrolled to allow time for processing.
For more information, contact your Financial Aid counselor.
The Transfer Orientation fee is $40 per student and $20 for a guest. The fee includes: general session, breakout sessions, name tag, t-shirt (student only), breakfast and lunch, and the orientation booklet.
View the Fall 2015 Transfer Orientation Slideshow (pdf, 125MB).