To be teacher certified in the State of Texas, you need:
- an undergraduate degree
- to complete an approved teacher certification program
- to pass both required exams
The UTeach Dallas program provides documentation to the SBEC liaison in the TDC verifying that you have completed the UTeach Dallas program. This process takes place after grades are posted.
Documentation is NOT sent if
- you are registered for courses after your student teaching semester
- if you are missing degree requirements
- if you have not applied to graduate
Documentation for degree-holders is sent as soon as grades post. Documentation for all others is sent as soon as possible after grades post and well before degrees become official.
Once UTeach Dallas sends documentation about program completion, the SBEC liaison checks to see that you've also passed both exams and that you hold a degree. If everything checks out AND you've applied to SBEC, then you are ready to be certified.
Wondering where your teacher certification is? Here are some possibilities:
- Did you apply to SBEC yet? If not, click here.
- Have you taken and passed both exams? If not, you'll need to do that before you can be recommended.
- Is your degree official yet? The University of Texas at Dallas puts all degrees through a rigorous vetting process that ensures the integrity of your degree. Degrees "post," or become official, only after this process is completed. Usually, degrees will post in January (for Fall semester graduates), June (Spring semester), and September (summer session). Local school districts often begin classes before degrees post. There is no way to shorten the process, so be sure to talk to Human Resources at the district you are working with. Let them know you expect to be recommended for certification soon.
- Did you finish course work in the semester (fall, spring, or summer) AFTER you did your Apprentice Teaching? If so, you'll need to let the UTeach Dallas program know that you've finished. If you took courses somewhere besides UTD (like DCCCD, CCCC) those classes have to be official, either showing up on your UTD transcript or with an official transcript here in the UTeach Dallas office.Click here to send an email letting us know so we can send documentation to the SBEC liaison.
- Did you finish your degree after you completed Apprentice Teaching? If so, you'll need to let us know you're all done. Click here to send us an email.
- Questions? We're here to help! Send us an email and we'll see what we can get figured out.