Apprentice Teaching at UTeach Dallas is the final segment in the professional education sequence. Students will complete 12 weeks of supervised apprentice teaching in a local school district during the fall or spring semester. This cooperative venture between UTeach Dallas and the public schools represents the practical application of the teaching/learning process.
Applications for Apprentice Teaching will be accepted before October 1 to teach in the Spring semester, and before March 1 to teach in the Fall semester. Students who anticipate being eligible should watch the UTeach bulletin board. FUTURE APPRENTICE TEACHERS MUST REQUEST A PLACEMENT EARLY DURING THE LONG SEMESTER PRIOR TO APPRENTICE TEACHING. Application: Application for Student Teaching.
UTeach Master Teachers will review all applications for Apprentice Teaching. To be eligible, apprentice teacher candidates must adhere to high ethical standards, exhibit professional maturity, have acceptable class attendance, and meet the following requirements:
- pass both required TExES exams
- complete all required professional development (UTeach Dallas) courses with a 3.00 GPA
- complete all required course work in teaching specialization with a 2.75 GPA
- have no grade lower than “C-” in any courses in your teaching specialization
- have no grade lower than a “B-” in your Step 1/2 courses and a “C” in your higher level UTeach courses
- request a school where no family member works or attends
- have clear district criminal background check
Students will register with UT Dallas for six semester hours of credit in Apprentice Teaching plus the one hour Apprentice Teaching Seminar. An Apprentice Teaching fee will be included in the total registration charges. Students must be registered and payment received (installment payment is an option) before beginning Apprentice Teaching. All professional development courses must have been completed, and it is recommended that NO other courses be taken during student teaching.
Helpful Study Links
TExES Review Sessions Offered by Region 10 to the public
TExES Secured Practice Test Offered by Region 10 to the public
Test Preparation Materials Provided by ETS for all TExES test
T-CERT TExES Certification Exam Review for Teachers – Free online resources for teacher certification candidates and educator preparation program instructors.
FREE study guide Future Math teachers–TExES 7-12 Math