UTeach Dallas Robert Noyce Scholarships
Thanks to a generous grant from the National Science Foundation, UTeach Dallas students are eligible for $10,000 annual scholarships. The requirements for the scholarships:
- A major in a science discipline, mathematics, or engineering. **
- Junior or senior status at UT Dallas.
- Be willing to sign an agreement to teach after graduation at least two years in a high-needs school for each year of Robert Noyce scholarship support. This service must be completed within 8 years of graduation with a bachelor’s degree. If the service requirement is not fulfilled, the scholarship will revert to an interest-bearing loan, with interest accumulation starting at the date of the initial scholarship award. Special arrangements will be made for hardship cases.
- Be a U. S. citizen or national/permanent resident alien.
- Overall GPA of 3.0 at UTD and UTeach GPA of at least 3.0.
Eligibility for the Noyce scholarship requires that a student candidate must be a STEM major seeking a STEM degree. If a student is a STEM major (any science, math, engineering/comp, or neuroscience), that student is eligible to apply for the Noyce if other requirements are met. If a student receives a Noyce scholarship as a STEM major but changes his or her major from STEM to a non-STEM major after receiving a semester or more Noyce scholarships, the student loses his or her eligibility for future scholarships, even if already awarded. For example, if a student is a math major, but changes his major to IS with 4-8 math certification after receipt of the first semester of a 2-semester Noyce scholarship, the student loses eligibility for the second semester. We cannot provide a Noyce scholarship to a student who is not a STEM major.
To apply, submit the following to Mrs. Katie Donaldson, on or before November 15th or May 1st.
- Complete the application found Noyce_Scholarship Form.
- Submit application with TWO letters of recommendation. We suggest having one letter from a science, mathematics or engineering faculty member and one from a field mentor teacher. Include this form Noyce Letter of Recommendation Form with each letter.
- Print the Noyce Scholarship Agreement 7-30-10 sign and submit with your application.
The applications will be reviewed by the UTeach Dallas Scholarship Committee and awards will be announced within two weeks of the application deadline.
*Preference will be given to applicants who have completed the UTeach Step 2 course.
Teaching Obligation: Noyce recipients commit to teaching in a high need public school district. For every semester awarded, recipients must teach one year. If the teaching obligation is not met, the scholarship must be repaid. Noyce Fellows have 6 years to meet the teaching obligation after completing the Student Teaching semester. A high need school district meets one of the following definitions:
In April of each academic year, Noyce Fellows will receive an email from the UTeach program asking them to provide documentation of their teaching. Fellows who have met their teaching obligation or paid back the Noyce funds will receive a letter indicating their status with the program.