Galerstein Women's Center Resources
The GWC provides a variety of in-house services for students, staff, faculty and the community, including space for study, events and meetings to accommodate individuals and groups. The Center provides student organization advising, as well as professional counseling services for students, staff and faculty. We offer a lending library with gender-related books and materials and videos, which can be checked out with a valid Comet Card.
The GWC offers counseling as a unique support service available to faculty, staff and students. The GWC offers counseling that is specific to gender-related issues, justice and equity, relationships, balancing work/family issues, workplace conflicts, boundaries, equity and discrimination, as well as issues around sexual identity. Participants of outreach programs such as Ally training, Discover UT Dallas and student, staff and faculty orientations are informed of our counseling services.
The GWC supports the mission of the Office of Diversity & Community Engagement to “embrace, enhance, and celebrate diversity at all levels of the University” which is realized in part through the counseling component of the GWC through cultural awareness programs, at-risk population, racial and age discrimination, adjustment and workplace conflict/mediation issues.
LilyPad Lactation Room
A clean, secure and user-friendly environment for students, staff and faculty women who need to express breast milk during their work shift or school hours. The LilyPad is furnished, equipped with a sink, refrigerator and cleaning supplies, and private. It is open Monday-Thursday, 9 a.m.- 6 p.m. and Friday 9 a.m.- 5 p.m. and is located in the Galerstein Women's Center, Student Services Building, Suite 4.300.
The GWC offers a library that contains over 1,200 books, as well as several DVD movies, on various gender and social issue topics. Most items in the library are available for checkout to any student, staff, or faculty member. The only thing you need to check materials out is your Comet Card. The library also doubles as a space where students can eat lunch or study, or gather for group study sessions and/or meetings. To view a catalog of books in our library, please click here.
The GWC is committed to creating a safe and inclusive environment for everyone. A single unit, gender-neutral restroom is located on the second floor of the Student Services Building, across from the vending machines. The restroom provides a safe and comfortable facility for your convenience and privacy. For your reference, here is a complete list of gender-neutral restrooms across campus:
- The list is now updated to include gender-neutral restrooms in the new ATEC building.
Download Gender-Neutral Restroom Location List
Adobe (.pdf) Microsoft Word (.docx)
GWC Listserv (E-mail List)
Want to stay informed about upcoming events and volunteer opportunities? Feel free to join our listserv! All you need to do to sign up is to attend one of our events and indicate on the sign-in sheet that you want to be added, or send us an email requesting to add you to the list, and we'll take care of the rest.
- What to Do if You Are Sexually Assaulted
- UT Dallas Sexual Harassment Policy
- Dean of Students
- Student Wellness Center
- Evening Child Care at UT Dallas
- Non-GWC Counseling Services: Counseling Center
- Multicultural Center
- Office of Diversity & Community Engagement
- Office of Student AccessAbility
- Pride at UTD
- The Student Success Center
- Success Coaching Program
Additional Campus Resources
UTD also offers several additional resources to students through the Work-Life services program. The program is designed to offer resources and referral services to students and their families to help them with dependent care and daily living needs. The services below are just a sampling of what is offered:
- Child Care: nanny and au pair agencies, before-and-after school care, summer care and camps, parenting tips
- Adoption: international adoption, post-adoption services, adoption attorneys
- Education: public and private K-12 schools, colleges and universities, financial aid/scholarship assistance, tutoring programs
- Elder Care: senior housing, home care and adult day care, information and resources for people with Alzheimer’s and dementia, caregiver support
- Daily Living: pet-sitting, relocation, consumer purchases, errand services, entertainment
- Wellness: diet and nutrition counseling, smoking cessation
- Legal/Financial: downloadable legal documents, financial calculators, online articles, tips and learning opportunities.
- The Resource Center of Dallas
- Youth First Texas
- Dallas Voice - The Community Newspaper for Gay & Lesbian
- Cathedral of Hope
- Dallas Pride Parade
- Equality Texas
National LGBTQ Resources
- Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender Youth Support Line: 1-800-850-8078
- National Teen Gay & Lesbian Hotline: 1-800-347-TEEN
- Gay & Lesbian National Hotline: 1-888-843-4564 (1-888-THE-GLNH)
- The Trevor Project: 1-866-488-7386
- Human Rights Campaign (HRC)
- Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG)
- Out & Equal Workplace Advocates
- Bisexual Resource Center
- Children of Lesbians and Gays Everywhere (COLAGE)
- Gay Asian Pacific Support Network
- National Center for Lesbian Rights
- National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
- Service Members Legal Defense Network (SLDN)
- Queer Resource Directory (QRD)
- Oasis Journals Resources
- Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network
- National Clearinghouse for Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual Greek Issues
- Wayne F. Placek Grant Program for the American Psychological Foundation
- Point Foundation
National Gender Resources
- Wi$e Up (Financial Planning for Gen X Women)
- The CareerWISE project at Arizona State University
- National Engineers Week Foundation - Engineering Women
- Gender Education and Advocacy - Gender.org
- The International Foundation for Gender Education