My research has an inter-disciplinary focus that spans multiple disciplines including management science, information systems, operations management, and accounting. My research has been motivated by working with real-world problems and involves application of analytical models and econometric methods to study the impact of information technologies across industries.
I. HEALTHCARE INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
- Information Technology and Quality and Cost of Healthcare: A Longitudinal Study of US Hospitals. Decision Support Systems May 2013, Vol. 55, No. 2, pp. 438-449 (with M. Thouin).
- A Predictive Model for Readmissions of Patients with Congestive Heart Failure: A multi-hospital study. Under 4th round review at Information Systems Research (with J.H. Oh, K. Kirksey, Z. Zheng)
- Quicker and Sicker? Length of Stay and Readmission Risk for Congestive Heart Failure Patients. Under review. Proceedings of the Seventeenth INFORMS Conference on Information Systems and Technology, Phoenix, AZ, October 13-14, 2012. Also, presented at the Third Annual Workshop on Health Information Technology and Economics, October 2012, Washington DC (with with J.H. Oh, K. Kirksey, Z. Zheng).
- Patient Migration and Duplicate Procedures: A Longitudinal Study of Congestive Heart Failure Patients in Texas. Presented at the INFORMS Annual Conference, October 2012, Phoenix, AZ, and at the Second INFORMS Healthcare Conference, Chicago, IL, June 2013 (with S. Ayabakan, K. Kirksey, Z. Zheng)
- Can Health Information Sharing Reduce Duplicate Testing? A Longitudinal Analysis of Patient Switching Behavior across Multiple Hospitals (with Sezgin Ayabakan, Kirk Kirksey, and Eric Zheng) Under review at Management Science. Presented at the UT Clinical Safety and Effectiveness Conference, San Antonio, TX, September 2013. Fourth Annual Workshop on Health Information Technology and Economics, November 2013, Washington DC.
- Hospital Characteristics, Health Information Technology, and Stage One Meaningful Use. Presented at the Second INFORMS Healthcare Conference, Chicago, IL, June 2013 (with K. Jenkins and J. Li).
II. BUSINESS VALUE OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
- Business Value of Information Technology: Testing the Interaction Effect of IT and R&D on Tobin's Q. Information Systems Research, Forthcoming 2013 (with V.Krishnan and S.Lin).
- Information Technology and Firm Profitability: Mechanisms and Empirical Evidence. MIS Quarterly March 2012, Vol. 36, No. 1, pp. 205-224 (with S. Mithas, A. Tafti, and J.M. Goh).
- The Benefits of IT Investments: How CEOs should allocate their Discretionary Spending. MIT Sloan Management Review, Spring 2012, Vol. 53, No. 3 (with S. Mithas, A. Tafti, and J.M. Goh).
- Team Dispersion, Information Technology, and Project Performance. Production & Operations Management, Summer 2013, Forthcoming (with V. Krishnan and S. Lin).
- Project Performance and the Enabling Role of Information Technology: An Exploratory Study on the Role of Alignment. INFORMS Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, Fall 2007, Vol. 9, No. 4, pp. 579-595 (with V. Krishnan and S. Lin).
- Performance Impacts of Strategy, Information Technology Applications, and Business Process Outsourcing in U.S. Manufacturing Plants. Production and Operations Management, 2007, Vol. 16, No. 6, pp. 747-762 (with S. Mithas and S. Lin).
- Understanding the Impact of Collaboration Software on Product Design and Development. Information Systems Research, December 2006, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 352-373 (with R. Banker and O. Asdemir).
- Information Technology, Production Process Outsourcing and Manufacturing Plant Performance. Journal of Management Information Systems, Vol. 23, No. 2, Fall 2006, pp. 13-40 (with J. Whitaker and S. Mithas).
- Plant Information Systems, Manufacturing Capabilities and Plant Performance. MIS Quarterly, Vol. 30, No. 2, pp. 315-337, June 2006 (with R. D. Banker, H. Chang, and S. Lin).
- Toward a Theory to Study the Use of Collaborative Product Commerce for Product Development. Information Technology and Management, Vol. 8, No. 2, April 2007, pp. 167-184.
III. INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY SERVICE MANAGEMENT
- Information Technology Project Portfolio Optimization: A Risk Management Approach to Software Development Governance. IBM Journal of Research & Development (formerly IBM Systems Journal), Vol. 54, No. 2, Spring 2010 (with R. Kauffman and S. Naranpanawe).
- An Inter-disciplinary Perspective on IT Services Management and Services Science. Lead article in Journal of Management Information Systems, Spring 2010, Vol. 26, No. 4, pp. 13-64 (with H. Demirkan, P.K. Kannan, R. Kauffman, and R. Sougstad).
- Prioritization of a Portfolio of Information Technology Projects. Journal of Management Information Systems, Vol. 21, No. 2, pp. 33-60, Fall 2004 (with R. Sougstad and S. Bagchi).
- "Empirical Analysis of Information Technology Investment Portfolios" in Economics, Information Systems, and Electronic Commerce Research: Empirical Methodologies, Chapter 4 in Advances in Management Information Systems Series, R. Kauffman and P. Tallon (editors), M.E. Sharpe Publishers, Armonk, NY, 2008, pp. 132-158 (with R. Sougstad).
IV. PRODUCTIVITY ANALYSIS
- The Impact of IT-enabled Manufacturing Capabilities on Plant Profitability: New mechanisms and evidence (with S. Ayabakan and Z. Zheng). Revise and resubmit at MIS Quarterly.
- A Simulation Study of Joint Uses of Data Envelopment Analysis and Statistical Regressions for Production Function Estimation and Efficiency Evaluation. Journal of Productivity Analysis, Vol. 9, No. 3, pp. 249-278, 1998 (with W. W. Cooper and S. C. Kumbhakar).
- New Uses of Data Envelopment Analysis and Statistical Regressions for Production Function Estimation and Efficiency Evaluation - with Illustrative Applications to Public Schools in Texas. Annals of Operations Research, Vol. 66, pp. 255-277, 1996 (with V.L. Arnold, W. W. Cooper, and S. C. Kumbhakar).
- A Note on Returns-to-Scale in Data Envelopment Analysis. European Journal of Operational Research, Vol. 88, pp. 583-585, 1996 (with R. D. Banker and William W. Cooper).
- Models and Measures for Efficiency Dominance in Data Envelopment Analysis: Additive Models and MED Measures. Journal of the Operations Research Society of Japan, Vol. 39, No. 3, pp. 322-332, 1996 (with W. Bowlin, W. W. Cooper, and T. Sueyoshi).
- Models and Measures for Efficiency Dominance in Data Envelopment Analysis: Free Disposal Hull and Russell Measure Approaches. Journal of the Operations Research Society of Japan, Vol. 39, No. 3, pp. 333-344, 1996 (with W. Bowlin, W. W. Cooper, and T. Sueyoshi).
- A Weighted Least Squares Approach to Computer Simulation Factor Screening. Operations Research, Vol. 43, No. 5, pp. 792-806, 1995 (with D. J. Morrice).
- The Role of the Internal Audit Function in the Disclosure of Material Weakness Disclosures. The Accounting Review, Vol. 86, No. 1, January 2011 (with S. Lin, M. Pizzini, and M. Vargus).
- Firm Characteristics and the Disclosure of Material Weaknesses in Family Firms (with Shu-ling Wu & Shu Lin) Revise and Resubmit at Accounting Horizons.
- Performance Management Systems and Firm Innovation (with S. Lin and L. Lucianetti) To be submitted to The Accounting Review.
- The Impact of Activity-Based Costing on Manufacturing Plant Performance. Lead article in Accounting, Organizations and Society, Vol. 33, No. 1, 2008, pp. 1-19 (with R. Banker and T. Chen).