Applications of Operations Research
This seminar course deals with general applications in O.R. without
reference to specific methods. It also covers articles on philosophy
in modeling and decision making. The course also served the purpose
of introducing many of the well known problems in O.R.
Consent of the instructor.
Presentations and Class discussion
The topics included on this occasion:
- Critical Path Assignment Problem:
This is simultaneous generalization of the assignment and the critical path
problems and has practical significance.
- The Newsboy (Christmas Tree) Problem:
The discussion dealt with many generalizations of this famous problem.
- The Secretary Problem: Same as above.
- Battery Replacement Problem:
- The Jeep Problem
- Inventory Issuing Policies
- Burn-in Phenomenon in Reliability and its associated problems
- Habitual Domains: P.L.Yu, O.R. 39 Dec 91 pp. 869-876.
- Sequential Games
- Capacitated Vehicle Routing Problem
- Bottleneck System Optimization
- Assortment Problem
- Manpower Scheduling Problems
- Optimal Search
- Narmada Valley Project Problem
- Noniteratvie Transportation Problems
- Tool Selection in FMS Systems
- Scheduling Interviews in a Job Fair
- Brains and Personality: J. Engel, O.R. (1969) pp.761-769.
- Prediction and Prescription in System Modeling: H. Simon, O.R. (1990) pp.7-14.
- Controlling Traffic in a Network by Offsets in Signals
- Multi-Product Inventory Systems
- Assembly Line Balancing
- Ship Routing and Fiber Optic Networks Design
- Chip Selection Problem
- Rotating Rosters for a Transit System
- Rearrangement of Objects
- Controlling a Single Intersection
- Yield Management in Airlines
- Pattern Recognition by LP
- Optimal Size of Machines in Scheduling
- Voronoi Diagrams
- Express Checkout Stands in a Supermarket
- Optimal Testing and Assignment of Components in a Reliable System
- Information Acquisition
Click here to go back ...