6343 Cloud Computing
- The instructor will be traveling on 8/31 and there will be
a makeup class on Tuesday 9/10, 7pm-10pm in ECSN 2.112.
This course covers a series of current cloud computing technologies,
including technologies for Infrastructure as a Service,
Platform as a Service, Software as a Service, and
Physical Systems as a Service.
For different layers of the cloud technologies, practical solutions
such as Google, Amazon, Microsoft, SalesForce.com, etc.
as well as theoretical solutions (covered by a set of papers) are
The course is also highly project oriented, involving hand-on
exploration of existing technologies as well as development of
- Different layers of cloud computing, infrastructure as a service (IaaS),
platform as a service (PaaS), and software as a service (SaaS).
Introduction of practical IaaS, PasS, SaaS, including
Amazon ECS, GAE, Force.com, Microsoft Azure, etc.
- Hadoop MapReduce for big data computing.
- Cloud storage system design issues, including directory management,
data placement, and consistency issues.
Practical cloud storage system solutions including GFS, Big Table,
HDFS, HBase, Dynamo, Pnuts.
- Erasure coding and secret sharing based cloud storage.
- Virtualization technologies: Hypervisor, emulation, and application VM.
Platform virtualization, storage virtualization,
and network virtualization.
- Resource management, power management, and health monitoring
in IaaS cloud.
- SaaS definition and concepts and enabling technologies.
- Introduction to cloud security. Secure computation in the cloud.
Prerequisites: CS 5343, CS5348 and some knowledge of CS6378.
- Project 60%
- Exams 40%
- Exam 1: Oct 5
- Exam 2: Dec 7
Please login into elearning and go to Course Homepage
followed by the Notes tab for all the slides.
Class, Instructor, and TA information
- Instructor: Dr. I-Ling Yen, [email protected], (972)883-6446
- Instructor Office Hours: Tuesdays 2:00pm-4:00pm, ECSS 4.402
- TA: Wenxi Zhen, [email protected]
- TA Office Hours (tentative): Wed 2:00pm-3:00pm and Fri 9:00am-11:00am, ECSS 4.417.