The University of Texas at Dallas
Erik Jonsson School of Engineering and Computer Science
Department of Electrical Engineering
Computer Engineering Program
Computer Architecture and Memory Systems Laboratory
Office: ECSN 4.918
(the full history is here)
▶ Jie's paper titled by "Power, Energy and Thermal Considerations in SSD-Based I/O Acceleration" has been accepted from USENIX HOTSTORAGE'14!
▶ Our "HIOS: A Host Interface I/O Scheduler for Solid State Disks" paper has been accepted from ISCA'14
▶ Our "Sprinkler: Maximizing Resource Utilization in Many-Chip Solid State Disks" paper has been accepted from HPCA'14
▶ Our "Triple-A: A Non-SSD Based Autonomic All-Flash Array for Scalable High Performance Computing Storage Systems" paper has been accepted from ASPLOS'14
▶ Our "Exploring the future of out-of-core computing with NVM" paper has been nominated as both a "best student paper finalist" and "best paper finalist" by Supercomputing'13 (3 papers / 457 submissions)
▶ I am looking for outstanding Ph.D. students to perform insightful cutting-edge research in CAMELab. Please email me your CV and research statement (or plan), if you are interested in computer architecture, memory systems and embedded systems. You might want to read this as well.
I am an assistant professor at Erick Jonsson School of Engineering and Computer Science in The University of Texas at Dallas. Before joining it, I earned Ph.D. in computer science at Pennsylvania State University (Advisor:Mahmut Kandemir) and master of science in computer science from Georgia Institute of Technology (Mentor:Sung Kyu Lim, Hsien-Hsin S. Lee and Joonhyuk Yoo). As a guest research scientist (Mentor: John Shalf), I am also co-working with Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory to model and simulate diverse memory technologies on scientific applications in designing energy efficient Exascale computing systems. In addition to these academic activities, I have 6+ years industry experience, several industrial U.S. patents related to multi-channel SSDs, and approximately thirty technical papers regarding SSD flash firmware and kernel-level file systems.
I love memory and storage systems. My research topics are mainly focused on advanced computer architecture, embedded systems, firmware, middleware, memory controller design atop/within storage class Non-Volatile Memory (NVM) technologies such as NAND flash, Resistive RAM (RRAM), Magnetic RAM (STT-RAM), and Phase-change RAM (PCRAM). These emerging NVM studies will define new computer architecture and new parallelism computing, which can in turn boost performance and reduce energy consumption with better reliability at a given technology. I am actively leading diverse NVM projects such as modeling open source-based NVM simulation, analyzing/designing high performance many-chip Solid State Disks (SSD), developing host-local NVM systems and optimizing NVM software stacks. I am also interested in introducing different types of NVM technology into scientific applications such as out-of-core computing, in-situ analysis and message logging, and enabling NVM-based burst buffer/micro-check pointing under diverse high performance computing (HPC) and data-center system organizations.
SELECT PUBLICATIONS (COMPUTER ARCHITECTURE):
(the full paper list is here)
|ISCA'14||, Wonil Choi, Shekhar Srikantaiah, Joonhyuk Yoo, Mahmut Kandemir, "HIOS: A Host Interface I/O Scheduler for Solid State Disks" (acceptance rate: 17%)|
|HPCA'14||, Mahmut Kandemir, "Sprinkler: Maximizing Resource Utilization in Many-Chip Solid State Disks" (acceptance rate: 25%) [ pdf ] [ slides ]|
|ASPLOS'14||, Wonil Choi, John Shalf, Mahmut Kandemir, "Triple-A: A Non-SSD Based Autonomic All-Flash Array for Scalable High Performance Computing Storage Systems" (acceptance rate: 22%) [ acm ] [ slides ]|
|ISCA'12||, Ellis Herbert Wilson III, Mahmut Kandemir, “Physically Addressed Queueing (PAQ): Improving Parallelism in Solid State Disks" (acceptance rate: 17%) [ pdf ]|
SELECT PUBLICATIONS (COMPUTER SYSTEMS):
(the full paper list is here)
|HOTSTORAGE'14||Jie Zhang, Mustafa Shihab, "Power, Energy and Thermal Considerations in SSD-Based I/O Acceleration" (acceptance rate: 25%)|
|SIGMETRICS'13||, Mahmut Kandemir, "Revisiting Widely-held Expectations of SSD and Rethinking Implications for Systems" (acceptance rate: 13%) [ pdf ] [ slides ]|
|SC'13||, Ellis Wilson, Wonil Choi, John Shalf, Metin Aktulga, Chao Yang, Erik Saule, Umit V. Catalyurek, Mahmut Kandemir, "Exploring the Future of Out-Of-Core Computing with Compute-Local Non-Volatile Memory" (acceptance rate: 20%) [ pdf ] [ slides ]|
|HOTSTORAGE'13||, Mahmut Kandemir, "Challenges in Getting Flash Drives Closer to CPU" (acceptance rate: 23%) [pdf ] [ video ] [ slides ]|
|HOTSTORAGE'12||, Mahmut Kandemir, "An Evaluation of Different Page Allocation Strategies on High-Speed SSDs" (acceptance rate: 23%) [ pdf ]|
- Award of Excellence, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Computer Sciences Summer Student Program, 2012.
- Future Scientist Award Winner, Federation of Busan Science and Technology, 2005.
- Most Innovative Award Winner, "National Thesis Project," Gwangju Information & Culture Industry Promotion Agency, 2005.
- Winner in “The Best Engineer of Flash Software Group Awards,” Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., 2006.
- Program Committee, IEEE International Conference on Computer Design (ICCD), 2014.
- Journal Reviewer, IEEE Transaction on Computing, 2014.
- External Review Committee, Design Automation Conference (DAC), 2014.
- Program Committee, International Conference on Advanced Engineering Computing and Applications in Sciences, 2014.
- Journal Reviewer, The Computer Journal, 2014.
- Journal Reviewer, Journal of Computer Science Technology, 2014.
- Organizing Committee, Operating System Support for Next Generation Large Scale NVRAM (NVRAMOS), 2013.
- Journal Reviewer, IEEE Transaction on Parallel and Distributed Systems (TPDS)
- Memory Session Chair, International Conference on Supercomputing (ICS), 2013.
- Program Committee, International Conference on Advanced Engineering Computing and Applications in Sciences, 2013.
- Journal Reviewer, Journal of Information Science and Engineering, 2013.
- Journal Reviewer, IEEE Transactions on Computer-Aided Design of Integrated Circuits and Systems, 2012.
- Journal Reviewer, Journal of Information Science and Engineering, 2012.
- External Reviewer of HPCA'13, FAST'13, LCTES'13, ICCAD'12, DAC'12, RTCSA'12, Supercomputing'12, DAC'11, Supercomputing'11, and JPDC