Current Research Activities of
Fellow of The Royal Society
Cecil & Ida Green Chair in
Systems Biology Science
NotesI specifically chose the above photo, crow's feet and all, just to highlight the point that research should be fun!
This page contains a description of my current research interests, recent papers and papers awaiting publication, and recent seminar presentations. Reprints of scientific papers that are already published can be found under "publications" while other writings can be found under (what else?) "other writings."
ContentsCurrent research interests
Recent Papers (updated frequently)
Slides of some recent talks
Current Research InterestsMy research interests are in the broad area of system and control theory, and its applications. At present I am interested in the area of compressed sensing, that is, finding sparse solutions to large under-determined problems, and the intersection between compressed sensing and control theory. On the applications front, I am interested in applying ideas from machine learning to problems in computational biology with emphasis on cancer.
- Mehmet Eren Ahsen et al., "Sparse Feature Selection for Classification and Prediction of Metastasis in Endometrial Cancer," to appear in BMC Genomics PDF
- M. Eren Ahsen and M. Vidyasagar, "Error bounds for compressed sensing algorithms with group sparsity: A unified approach," to appear in Applied and Computational Harmonic Analysis, PDF
- Nitin Singh and M. Vidyasagar, "bLARS: An Algorithm to Infer Gene Regulatory Networks," IEEE Transactions on Computational Biology and Bioinformatics, 13(2), 301-314, March-April 2016. PDF
- Burook Misganaw et al., "Optimized Prediction of Extreme Treatment Outcomes in Ovarian Cancer," Cancer Informatics, 14 (Suppl5), 45-55, March 2016. PDF
- Burook Misganaw and M. Vidyasagar, "Exploiting Ordinal Class Structure in Multiclass Classification: Application to Ovarian Cancer," IEEE Life Sciences Letters, 1(1), 1-4, 2015. PDF
- M. Vidyasagar, \Identifying predictive features in drug response using machine learning: Opportunities and challenges," Annual Review of Pharmacology and Toxicology , 55(1), 1-29, 2015.
- M. Vidyasagar, "Machine learning methods in the computational biology of cancer," Proceedings of the Royal Society, Part A, 2014, PDF
- M. Vidyasagar, "An elementary derivation of the large deviation rate function for finite state Markov processes," Asian Journal of Control, 16(1), 1-19, January 2014. PDF
- M. Eren Ahsen and M. Vidyasagar, "Mixing coefficients between discrete and real random variables: Computation and properties", IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, 59(1), 34-47, January 2014. PDF
M. Vidyasagar, "A metric between probability distributions on
finite sets of different cardinalities and
applications to order reduction",
IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control,
57(10), 2464-2477, October 2012.
For a longer version with more details, see the arXiv version
- M. Vidyasagar, "Probabilistic methods in cancer biology", European Journal of Control, 17(5-6), 483-511, September - December 2011. PDF
- M. Vidyasagar, "The complete realization problem for hidden Markov models: A survey and some new results", Mathematics of Control, Signals and Systems, 23(1), 1-65, 2011. PDF
Slides of Some Recent Talks
- "A Tutorial on Compressed Sensing and Control Theory: Some Answers and Some Questions," IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, 13 December 2016, Part-I; PDF
- "A Tutorial on Compressed Sensing and Control Theory: Some Answers and Some Questions," IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, 13 December 2016, Part-II; PDF
- "An Overview of Compressed Sensing," University of Hyderabad, 16 March 2015. PDF
- "Recent Developments in Compressed Sensing," Purdue University, 11 October 2013. PDF
- "Machine Learning Methods in Cancer Biology," Rufus Oldenburger Memorial Lecture, Purdue University, 10 October 2013. PDF
- "Predicting Extreme Events in Finance and Weather: Use of Heavy-Tailed Distributions," University of Buffalo, 03 October 2013. PDF
- "How Engineers Can Assist in Finding the Right Therapies for Cancer", Rufus Oldenburger Lecture, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Ft. Lauderdale, FL, 18 October 2012. PDF
- "Probabilistic Methods in Cancer Biology", Center for Control Systems and Technology Seminar, UT Dallas, 08 October 2012. Note: This talk is completely different from my Plenary Talk at CDC 2011, though I used the same title. PDF
- "Predicting the Risk of Lymph Node Metastasis in Endometrial Cancer Using Machine Learning Techniques", New Fellows Presentation at The Royal Society, 12 July 2012. PDF The audio of the talk can be found here
- "Probabilistic Methods in Cancer Biology", Plenary Talk at the 2011 IEEE Conference on Decision and Control and 20th European Control Conference, Orlando, FL, 14 December 2011. PDF
- "Four Decades of Control: A Journey of Reinventions", Harry H. Nyquist Lecture, Division of Dynamical Systems, Measurement and Control, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Washington, DC, 01 November 2011. PDF
- "Metric Distances Between Probability Distributions of Different Sizes", talk given at Johns Hopkins University on 20th October 2011. PDF
- "Predicting Extreme Events in Finance, Internet Traffic and Weather", IEEE Control Systems Society Webinar, 12 November 2010. PDF Webinar on IEEE CSS On-Line Lecture Library here