The University of Texas at Dallas
Don't forget to visit also the OpNeAR Lab. web-page!
Marco Tacca received his Laurea Degree from Politecnico di Torino in 1998 and PhD from the University of Texas at Dallas in 2002. He is a Senior Lecturer at the University of Texas at Dallas. Marco Tacca's research interests include aspects of optical networks, high speed photonic network planning, fault protection/restoration, and performance evaluation.
A more detailed resume is available here.
Recently taught courses:
1. EE 3120 Digital Systems Lab (Spring 2007)
2. EE 3150 Communication Systems Lab (Spring 2012)
3. EE 3301 Electrical Network Analysis (Spring 2013)
4. EE 4388 Senior Design Project I (Fall 2013)
5. EE4389 Senior Design Project II (Fall 2013)
6. EE 6340 Introduction to Telecommunications Network (Spring 2004)
7. EE 6360 Digital Signal Processing I (Spring 2004)
8. EE 7340 Optical Network Architectures and Protocols (Fall 2003)
All-Optical Network Architectures and Protocols
Wavelength Routing and Protection Switching
Network Optimization and Planning
Optical Networks in support of Next Generation Internet (NGI)
Optical and High Speed Network Simulators
Performance Analysis of Computer Networks
For more information on the research activities, please visit the OpNeAR Lab. web page.
ARTICLES IN REFEREED JOURNALS
1. A. Fumagalli, I. Cerutti, M. Tacca, Survivable Networks Based on Optimal Routing and WDM Self-Healing Rings, to appear in ACM/IEEE Transactions on Networking, accepted November 2002
2. G. Boggio, M. Burzio, N. Portinaro, J. Cai, I. Cerutti, A. Fumagalli, M. Tacca, L. Valcarenghi, A. Carena, and R. Gaudino, NetworkDesigner - Artifex - OptSim: a Suite of Integrated Software Tools for Synthesis and Analysis of High Speed Networks, Optical Networks Magazine, SPIE/Kluwer Academic Publishers, vol. 2, no. 4, July/August 2001
3. I. Cerutti, A. Fumagalli, M. Tacca, A. Lardies, R. Jagannathan, The Multi-Hop Multi-Rate Wavelength Division Multiplexing Ring, IEEE/OSA JLT special issue on Optical Networks, vol. 18, no. 12, pp. 1649-1656, December 2000.
4. D. Montgomery, M. Tacca, I. Cerutti, L. Valcarenghi, and R. Brooks, CAD Tools in Optical Network Design, Optical Networks Magazine, vol. 1. no. 2, pp. 59-74, April 2000
5. C. Blaizot, I. Cerutti, A. Fumagalli, M. Garnot, R. Jagannathan, A. Lardies, F. Masetti, M. Tacca, L. Valcarenghi, Design and Planning of Transport Networks based on SDH/SONET and WDM Optical Networks: Methods, Tools and Applications, SPIE/Baltzer Science Publishers Optical Networks Magazine, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 55-65, September 2000
ARTICLES IN REFEREED CONFERENCES
1. S. Darisala, A. Fumagalli, P. Kothandaraman, M. Tacca, L. Valcarenghi, M. Ali, D. Elie-Dit-Cosaque, On the Convergence of the Link-State Advertisement Protocol in Survivable WDM Mesh Networks, to be published in Proceeding of the 7th IFIP Working Conference on Optical Network Design & Modelling (ONDM 2003) February 3-5, 2003, Budapest, Hungary
2. S. Lakshmanan, D.S. Shah, M. Tacca, A. Fumagalli, A. Paradisi, and S.M. Rossi, An IP-Centric Control Plane for Survivable WDM Mesh Networks: Experimental Results on the OMEGA Test-bed, IEEE Workshop on IP Operations and Management (IPOM 2002) Dallas, TX, 2002
3. A. Fumagalli, P. Monti, and M.Tacca, A differentiated Reliability (DiR) Approach for Dynamic Provisionig in WDm networks, in Proc. 40th Annual Conference on Communication, Control, and Computing, Monticello, Illinois, October 2002
4. F. Farahmand, A. Fumagalli, M. Tacca, Near-Optimal Design of WDM Dual-Ring with Dual-Crossconnect Architecture, in Proc. SPIE Opticomm 2002 , Boston, MA, July-August 2002
5. A. Fumagalli, M. Tacca, F. Unghvary, A. Farago, Shared Path Protection with Differentiated Reliability, in Proc. IEEE ICC 2002 New York City, NY, April-May 2002
6. A. Fumagalli, A. Paradisi. S.M. Rossi M. Tacca, and F. Unghvary, Differentiated Reliability (DiR) in Mesh Networks with Shared Path Protection: Theoretical and Experimental Results, in Proc. OSA-IEEE OFC 2002 Anaheim, CA, March 2002
7. A. Fumagalli, M. Tacca, Differentiated Reliability (DiR) in Optical Networks, IEEE Gigabit Networking Workshop (GBN), (presentation), April 2001
8. A. Fumagalli, M. Tacca, Differentiated Reliability (DiR) in WDM Ring without Wavelength Converters, in Proc. IEEE ICC 2001, Helsinki, Finland, June 2001
9. A. Fumagalli, M. Tacca, Optimal Design of Optical Ring Networks with Differentiated Reliability (DiR), in Proc. International Workshop on QoS in Multiservice IP Networks, Rome, Italy, January 2001
10. I. Cerutti, A. Fumagalli, M. Tacca, A. Lardies, R. Jagannathan, Multi-Rate and Multi-Hop Optical Carries in WDM Ring, in Proc. Globecom 2000, San Francisco, CA, December 2000
11. A. Fumagalli, M. Tacca, I. Cerutti, F. Masetti, R. Jagannathan, Effects of Design Constraints on the Total Wavelength Mileage in Optical Mesh Networks with Shared Line Protection, in Proc. Opticomm'2000, October 2000
12. A. Fumagalli, I. Cerutti, M. Tacca, D. Montgomery, I. Chlamtac, K. Pathak, CATO: Trans-Layer Dense Wavelength-Division Multiplexing (DWDM) Network Optimization, in Proc. OSA-IEEE OFC'2000, poster presentation WN57, Baltimore, March 2000
13. A. Lardies, R. Jagannathan, A. Fumagalli, I. Cerutti, M. Tacca, A Versatile WDM Ring Network Design and Dimensioning Methodology, 4th Working Conference on Optical Network Design and Modeling (ONDM'2000), Athens, February 2000
14. A. Fumagalli, M. Tacca, I. Cerutti, Minimizing the Number of Optical Crossconnect Ports in Mesh Networks Based on Bidirectional Line-Switched WDM Self-Healing Ring, in Proc. IEEE ICCCN'99, Boston, MA, October 1999
15. I. Chlamtac, A. Fumagalli, D. Montgomery, R. Brooks, M. Tacca, L. Valcarenghi, I. Cerutti, CATO: CAD Tool for Design, Simulation, and Optimization of Optical Telecommunications Networks, in Proc. SPIE International Symposium on Voice, Video, and Data Communications - All-Optical Networking: Architecture, Control, and Management Issues, Boston, MA, SPIE vol. 3843, pp. 148-159, September 1999
16. A. Fumagalli, I. Cerutti, M. Tacca, F. Masetti, R. Jagannathan, S. Alagar, Survivable Networks Based on Optimal Routing and WDM Self-Healing Rings, in Proc. IEEE Infocom'99, New York, March 1999.
SPIE/Kluwer Optical Networks Magazine, Feature editor
Conference Organization Activities
IEEE GLOBECOM '03 - Technical program committee of the Optical Networking and Systems Symposium at IEEE GLOBECOM 2003
IEEE DRCN 03 - Exhibit chair