Back to index


Residential School
Residential schools are provided to allow children with hearing loss to be surrounded with others like them while offering adequate faculty, staff, and facilities. In this setting, the child usually remains at the school during the week and is able to go home on the weekends. A residential school often has the benefits of offering recreational, cultural, and athletic activities in which deaf children can interact with other children and adults with hearing loss in a non-handicapping environment.

Click HERE to see a list of schools for the deaf in the United States.

Special Day School
There are schools in some urban areas which have been especially created for children with hearing loss. Children may attend these schools and be placed in appropriate classrooms according to age, hearing level, and learning ability. Day schools have the benefits of children living at their own homes, on-campus hearing-aid repair, and more efficient audiological and psychological services than at schools with a smaller number of children with hearing loss. The schools are often funded by non-profit organizations.

Special Class at Regular School
This setting offers the economy of a regular public school while allowing children with hearing loss to remain in a self-contained classroom. The benefits of self-contained classrooms are children with hearing loss are placed with other children with similar needs. They are still able to interact with children with normal hearing during some non-academic classes such as recess, P.E., and art or afterschool activities.

A child may be either partially or completely mainstreamed. When a child with hearing loss is able to function at grade level in a particular subject, he/she may wish to be placed in a classroom of students with normal hearing. In this situation, the child with hearing loss is offered additional educational support such as a note-taker or an interpreter. Mainstreaming may be seen as an advantage for reducing the handicap of hearing loss by allowing the child to function among peers who have normal hearing.

Try contacting the following agencies in your area to initiate intervention:

  • School District's Speech Pathology Department
  • School District's In-Home Parent/Infant Program
  • School District's Deaf Co-operative
  • State Centers' Speech Department
  • College and University Speech Departments

Back to index