Department of Mathematical Sciences
University of Texas at Dallas
Email: [email protected]
Department of Statistics and Actuarial Science
University of Waterloo, Canada
- Statistical foundation of data science; machine learning; nonparametrics; high-dimensional data inference
- Graph mining; inference for random graphs and complex networks: uncertainty quantification in network analysis, bootstrap on networks, network motif and tensor analysis, data depth on networks
- Time series analysis; spatio-temporal processes; time series of graphs
- Climate informatics; healthcare, finance, and business predictive analytics
I am a member of the NSF EarthCube Research Coordination Network on the Intelligent Systems for Geosciences community (IS-GEO RCN) and SAMSI Working Groups on Climate Risk Analysis and Climate Informatics/Data Analytics.
List of my publications is available at Google Scholar.
- Saint Petersburg State University, Russia — Mathematics, MSc, 1997 (summa cum laude)
- Saint Petersburg State University, Russia — Mathematics, PhD, 2000
- University of Washington, USA — Statistics, Postdoc, 2001–2003
- Assistant/Associate Professor (with tenure) (2004–2014) — Department of Statistics and Actuarial Sciences, University of Waterloo, Canada
Selected Visiting Positions
- Visiting Researcher (06/2016–07/2016) — NASA Jet Propulsion Lab, Caltech, USA
- Research Fellow (07/2016–12/2016) — The Isaac Newton Institute for Mathematical Sciences, Cambridge, UK
- Visiting Associate Professor (09/2011–08/2012) — Johns Hopkins University, USA (on leave from UWaterloo)
- Visiting Assistant Professor (01/2009–06/2009) – University of California at Berkeley, USA (on leave from UWaterloo)
- Visiting Assistant Professor (08/2003–08/2004) — George Washington University, USA
- 2014 Fellow of the American Statistical Association (ASA)
- 2014 Abdel El-Shaarawi Young Researcher's Award from the International Environmetrics Society (TIES) of the International Statistics Institute
- 2004 JASA Applications and Case Studies Invited Paper of the Year
- 1999 The PhD Fellowship for the top PhD students from the Government of the Russian Federation
- 1997–1999 The Graduate Research Scholarship from the Government of Saint Petersburg, Russia
- 1997 Graduate Research Excellence Award, Saint Petersburg State University, Russia
Active External Research Grants
- 2017–2020 NSF DMS 1736368/1736417 AMPS: Collaborative Research: Analysis of Local Power Grid Properties: from Network Motifs to Tensors (PI, joint with H. V. Poor, EE Princeton) $230,000 total costs; UTD portion $115,000.
- 2016–2019 NSF IIS 1633331/1633355 BIGDATA: IA: Collaborative Research: Novel Bootstrap Procedures for Efficient Large Social Network Analysis; PI, joint with M. Kantarcioglu, CS UTD and V. Lyubchich, UMCES. $609,064 total costs; UTD portion $519,599
- 2015–2018 NSF DMS 1514808 EDT: Team Training Mathematical Scientists Through Industrial Collaborations; co-PI, joint with S. Minkoff (PI) and Y. Cao, UTD, F. Pereira, UTD, J. Zweck, UTD; $598,722
- 2016–2021 Simons Foundation, Nonparametric Inference for Random Networks and Graphs, PI, $35,000.
- 2016–2017 Society of Actuaries (SOA) Modeling the Impact of Climate Change on Agricultural Insurance Risks Using Modern Deep Machine Learnin Algorithms; PI, joint with V. Lyubchich, UMCES, $20,000 (direct costs)
- 2015–2017 Casualty Actuarial Society (CAS) Developing Adaptive Climate Indices; PI, joint with N. Humphreys, UTD, H. Kilbourne, UMCES, and V. Lyubchich, UMCES $31,500 (direct costs)
Since the start of a tenure-track position at the University of Waterloo, Canada, in 2004, my research has been continuously supported by external grants from NSERC, SSHRC, MITACS, GeoConnections of Natural Resources of Canada, Intact Foundation, Canada Foundation for Innovation (CFI) and other funding agencies and industrial partners.
- July 2017 — Guest Co-Editor for the Special Issue "Advances in Statistical Methods and Applications for Climate Change and Environment" in Statistics & Probability Letters
- January 2014 – present — Associate Editor for Environmetrics
- January 2013 – present — Associate Editor for the Canadian Journal of Statistics
- August 2008 – December 2014 — Associate Editor for Applied Stochastic Models in Business and Industry (ASMBI)
Current Ph.D. Students
- Asim Dey (3rd year)
- Xin Huang (5th year)
- Umar Islambekov (3rd year)
- Kusha Nezafati (5th year)
- Dorcas Ofori-Boateng (3rd year)
Selected Recent Professional Activities
- Co-Organizer of the 5-day workshop "Synthesis of Statistics, Data Mining and Environmental Sciences in Pursuit of Knowledge Discovery”, the Banff Int. Research Station (BIRS) for Math. Innovation and Discovery, Canada & Casa Matematica Oaxaca (CMO), Oaxaca, Mexico, November 2017
- Co-organizer of the International Workshops on the Perspectives on High-Dimensional Data Analysis, HDDA VI and HDDA VII
- Program Committee for 17th SIAM Int. Conf. on Data Mining (SDM 2017) Workshop on Mining Big Data in Climate and Environment, and Climate Informatics Workshops CI 2017 and CI 2016.
- Co-Organizer of the 5-day workshop "Recent Advances and Trends in Time Series Analysis: Nonlinear Time Series, High Dimensional Inference and Beyond”, the Banff Int. Research Station (BIRS) for Math. Innovation and Discovery, Canada & Casa Matematica Oaxaca (CMO), Banff, Canada, April 2014
Selected Current External Professional Committees/Boards
- 2017–2019 — Member of the American Statistical Association Committee on Energy Statistics, joint with DOE EIA
- 2013–present — Treasurer of the International Environmetrics Society (TIES) of International Statistical Institute (ISI)
Statistical Software Distribution
- R package snowboot: Bootstrap Methods for Network Inference. Ramirez Ramirez, L. L., Nezafati, K., Lyubchich, V., Chen Y., Gel, Y.R.
- R package funtimes: Functions for Time Series Analysis. Lyubchich, V., Gel, Y.R.
- R package lawstat: Tools for Biostatistics, Public Policy, and Law. Gastwirth, G.L., Gel, Y.R., Hui, W., Lyubchich, V., Miao, W., Noguchi, N. (in alphabetic order)
- R package nparLD: Nonparametric Analysis of Longitudinal Data in Factorial Experiments. Noguchi, N., Latif, M., Thangavelu, K., Konietschke, F., Gel, Y.R., and E. Brunner.
- R package ProbForecastGOP: Probabilistic Weather Field Forecast using the Geostatistical Output Perturbation (GOP) method. Berrocal, V.J., Gel, Y.R., Raftery, A.E., and T. Gneiting.
Recent Courses at UTD
- STAT 6348 Applied Multivariate Analysis F17
- STAT 6390 Statistical Network Analysis, S17
- STAT 7338 Time Series Modeling & Filtering, S17
- CS/SE/STAT 3341 Probability and Statistics in Computer Science and Software Engineering S17
- STAT 6347 Applied Time Series Analysis, S16
- STAT 7331 Multivariate Analysis, S15