The ability to read, write, speak and understand English is essential for success in graduate studies at UT Dallas. If your native language is not English and you have been educated outside of the United States, you must demonstrate English proficiency.
You have met the English proficiency requirement, and do not need to submit an English proficiency exam for admission, if:
- Your native country’s primary language is English. View a list of countries that are excused from the English proficiency requirement. or
- Your bachelor’s or master’s degree (or its equivalent) was earned through instruction and examination in English.
English proficiency requirements can be fulfilled with one of the following:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) iBT (Internet-based test)
- Minimum score: 80
- TOEFL PBT (paper-based test)
- Minimum score: 550
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
- Minimum score: 6.5
- Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE)
- Minimum score: 67
- Completion of Level 112 at an ELS Language Center
- Duolingo English Test (temporary, tests taken between February 1, 2020 and May 31, 2021)
- Minimum score: 105
- Please see COVID-19 Graduate Admissions Update for more information
Official test scores must be delivered directly from the testing agency, and must be less than two years old at the time of admission. A minimum score is required for unconditional, regular admission as a graduate student. Applicants with lower scores will be considered but are advised to improve their test scores and reapply.
Submit TOEFL scores using UT Dallas school code 6897.
Submit IELTS and PTE scores electronically or by mail directly from the testing agency.
Submit the ELS Level 112 certificate by mail directly from the ELS Language center.