Spring 2016 - Undergraduate Course Descriptions
Description of Course:
Welcome to Chinese 1312, the second of a two-course elementary Chinese language and culture sequence at the University of Texas at Dallas. This course continues to emphasize spoken Chinese for students to gain listening comprehension and verbal communication skills with more extensive vocabulary and sentence patterns. Meanwhile, students will continue to learn high-frequency characters in areas of immediate needs and bring the total number of characters to around 450. They will be able to identify these characters and use them in simple, meaningful sentences. Class will be conducted in vocabulary learning, pattern drills, dialogue practice, role-plays and group projects. By the end of the semester, students who successfully complete the course will be able to:
1. Demonstrate the ability to understand simple conversational Chinese and construct their own dialogues in given situation.
2. Write 450 characters and read them in meaningful context.
3. Analyze basic grammatical structures and apply them in speech and sentence writing.
4. Develop a deeper understanding of the diverse aspects of societies and cultures in Chinese-speaking areas of the world.
1. Textbook: Integrated Chinese ã€Šä¸æ–‡å¬è¯´è¯»å†™ã€‹, Level 1 Part 1, 3rd edition (simplified)
2. Workbook: Integrated Chinese ã€Šä¸æ–‡å¬è¯´è¯»å†™ã€‹, Level 1 Part 1, 3rd edition (simplified)
3. Character Workbook: Integrated Chinese ã€Šä¸æ–‡å¬è¯´è¯»å†™ã€‹, Level 1 Part 1, 3rd edition (simplified and traditional)
4. Audio CD or MP3 audio: Integrated Chinese ã€Šä¸æ–‡å¬è¯´è¯»å†™ã€‹, Level 1 Part 1, 3rd edition (simplified and traditional)
Note: Paper workbooks are required, online workbooks are NOT accepted in this course.
Course Requirements/Evaluation Criteria:
Chin 1311 or same level of language proficiency