Fall 2016 - Undergraduate Course Descriptions
Description of Course:
Welcome to Chinese 1311, this course is the first of a two-course elementary Chinese language and culture sequence at the University of Texas at Dallas. The course is learner-centered, communicative learning approach, task-based learning approach and collaboration learning approach will be used to help students obtain a firm grasp of language structure, improve their communicative ability in Chinese and cross-cultural communicative competence. By the end of the semester, students who successfully complete the course will be able to:
1. Command Chinese Pinyin and 40 Chinese radicals.
2. Recognize and use 172 basic Chinese words/phrases and some Chinese sentence patterns.
3. Recognize, read and write basic Chinese characters and write short essays with instructions.
4. Conduct simple Chinese conversations.
5. Gain a basic understanding of the diverse aspects of societies and cultures in Chinese-speaking areas of the world.
6. Simplified character and Mandarin Chinese will be taught in UTD’s Chinese courses.
1. Textbook: 《中文听说读写》, Level 1 Part 1, 3rd edition (simplified)
2. Workbook: Integrated Chinese 《中文听说读写》, Level 1 Part 1, 3rd edition (simplified and traditional)
3. Character Workbook: Integrated Chinese 《中文听说读写》, Level 1 Part 1, 3rd edition (simplified and traditional)
4. More learning materials online at https://www.cheng-tsui.com/browse/integrated-chinese
*Students can purchase the e-textbook, however, in order to practice the Chinese character writing, students MUST use the paper workbooks. E-workbook is NOT accepted in this course.
Course Requirements/Evaluation Criteria:
This course is designed for students with little or no knowledge of the Chinese language, or the Cantonese speakers. No previous Chinese learning experience is required.