Faculty at the School of Arts and Humanities
Areas of Specialization: Painting, Art and Technology, Digital Painting, Video, Contemporary Art, Design
Office: ATC 4.901
Mail Station: ATC 3.4C1
Email: [email protected]
My name is Liz Trosper, and I am one of the Visual Art professors at UT Dallas. My specialty is painting and digital imaging. In my classes, I teach students how to make art using both traditional and digital art-making approaches. I am obsessed with painting, and my work focuses on finding new ways to approach the discipline in the new media world. I have exhibited my work widely from Texas to New York and I am an alumni of the prestigious CentralTrak residency program.
I'm interested in the network of fine art, and my research is focused on the condition of painting as a discipline in a post-disciplinary time. I have worked for a number of museums—The Dallas Contemporary, The Dallas Museum of Art, The Meadows Museum, The Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth—either as a researcher, an educator or visiting instructor. These experiences have enriched my own art, and I try to pass that along to my students.
I want my students to learn how to build their own creative practice and set themselves up for a lifetime of art making. Making art involves learning technique, but that's far from the most important part. I hope to mentor students into trusting their creative voice and into seeing their practice as a journey. I believe in practice-led research, and that failure is just an opportunity to learn. I make that happen in the classroom by moving quickly through learning activities and providing regular, individualized feedback.
Before joining the University of Texas at Dallas, I worked in applied design fields from local economic development to traveling around the country facilitating the design and construction of playgrounds for a Fortune 500 company.
Recent Courses: View courses taught by Elizabeth Trosper
Work Samples and Publications:
- Liz Trosper, “Sadie Hawkins: A Reflection,” CentralTrak.com, Jan. 22, 2014
- Liz Trosper, “Jim Hodges: Give More Than You Take,” Arts and Culture Texas, Oct. 15, 2013
- Liz Trosper, “WE SPOKE MIRAGE,” Arts and Culture Texas, Dec. 4, 2013
- Nathan Madrid, TWO, Exhibition Catalog, cover artwork and featured artist, 2016
- Roberto Aguilar, “Things to do this weekend. - 'Body Poems in Suspended Space'-- Liz Trosper MFA Exhibition at CentralTrak,” CentralTrack.com, Apr. 22, 2016
- MTV RE:DEFINE Fifth Anniversary Exhibition Catalog, MTV, Goss Michael Foundation, Dallas Contemporary, Apr. 8, 2016
- Lauren Smart, “Inside Out Collective Wiggled Their Way Into Our Headspace Tuesday Night,” Dallas Observer, October 14, 2015
- Michael Granberry, “In the Design District core, good shows still flourish,” Dallas Morning News, June 27, 2015
- Caroline North, “24 Hours at CentralTrak, Exposition Park's Artist Residency Program,” The Dallas Observer, Nov. 25, 2014
Master of Fine Arts, University of Texas at Dallas
Master of Public Administration, University of North Texas
Bachelor of Science in Government, Texas Woman's University
Curriculum Vitae: Elizabeth Trosper's CV