Associate Dean of Graduate Studies / Associate Professor
Areas of Specialization: rhetorical criticism, history and theory of rhetoric, legal rhetoric, presidential rhetoric, writing and communication pedagogy, public and professional speaking, public address, professional communication, crisis communication, communication and leadership
Office: JO 4.510
Mail Station: JO 31
Email: [email protected]
I was hired at UTD in 2005 to teach courses in professional communication and also two of the communication requirements for the ATEC program. One year after beginning at UTD, I was asked to direct the Rhetoric and First-Year Writing Program and teach graduate-level courses in rhetoric, my doctoral field of specialization. Those who study and teach rhetoric consider how messages influence audiences. I have taught a number of courses in rhetoric and communication including digital and visual rhetorics, history and theory of rhetoric, rhetorical criticism, law and rhetoric, and presidential rhetoric. I also spend a few weeks every spring teaching professional writing and speaking to students at the University of Verona in Verona, Italy.
A major research of mine relates to how issues of legality and constitutional rights are communicated in public arenas outside the confines of the courtroom. In recent years, I have also become interested in rhetoric and crisis communication. In other words, I have written about how leaders, in particular, respond to crisis events and how they encourage audiences to act in relation to a crisis.
For the last several years, I have worked mostly with graduate students on their dissertation projects. I have enjoyed watching several of those students complete their degrees. One of my students, although not working in the area of rhetoric, has developed a computer application for translating texts from English to another language or vice versa.
I taught at Collin College and Louisiana Tech University before joining the UTD faculty. Prior to those appointments, though, I taught as a graduate student at Texas Tech University. I also worked for four years as a director of communication and outreach for a scientific research center at Texas Tech called The Institute of Environmental and Human Health.
Recent Courses: View courses taught by John Gooch
Work Samples and Publications:
- Lane, Shelley D., Ruth Anna Abigail, and John Casey Gooch. Communication in a Civil Society. Boston: Pearson Publishing, 2013.
- Gooch, John C. and Dorothy U. Seyler. Argument!. Second edition. New York: McGraw-Hill Higher Education, 2012.
- Gooch, John Casey. "Illegal Search and Seizure, Due Process, and the Rights of the Accused: The Voices of Power in the Rhetoric of Los Angeles Police Chief William H. Parker." Pólemos: Journal of Law, Literature, and Culture 9 (2015): 83-98.
- Gooch, John Casey. "Reading, Writing, and Imagining the Law: Using the Work of James Boyd White as an Approach to Analyzing Legal Rhetoric." Rhetor: Journal of the Canadian Society for the Study of Rhetoric 4 (2011).
- Gooch, John C. "The Dynamics and Challenges of Interdisciplinary Collaboration: A Case Study of 'Cortical Depth of Bench' in Group Proposal Writing." IEEE Transactions on Professional Communication 48 (2005): 177-190.
- Gooch, John Casey. "Chapter 5: Global Crisis Communication." Communication in Emerging Media: What's Trending Now? Carie Lambert and Maribeth Schlobohm, editors. Dubuque, Iowa: Kendall-Hunt Publishing, 2015. 109-133.
- Gooch, John Casey. "History, Re-inventing the Wheel, and Rhetorical Pedagogy in the 21st Century: A Response to Jerry Murphy." Oxford Studies in Rhetoric: A Report from the Interactive Seminar on Rhetoric and the Twenty-First Century. Nicholas Crowe and David Frank, editors. Cambridge: Cambridge Scholars Press, 2016.
Ph.D., Technical Communication and Rhetoric, Dept. of English, Texas Tech University, 2002
M.A., Technical Communication, Dept. of English, Texas Tech University, 1997
B.S., History and English w/ Teaching Certificate for Secondary Schools, West Texas A& M University, 1994
Curriculum Vitae: John Gooch's CV