Normally, students applying for admission to the Graduate Program in History (MA) should have a previous degree (BA or BS) in History or related disciplines and a grade point average of 3.3 (especially in upper-division undergraduate work).
Normally, students applying for admission to the Graduate Programs in History of Ideas, Humanities, Literature, and Visual and Performing Arts (MA, PhD) should have previous academic degrees (BA or MA) in Arts and Humanities fields and a grade point average of 3.3 (especially in upper-division undergraduate or graduate work). Students, however, are admitted holistically, so applicants who may not meet one of these criteria are still encouraged to apply.
Normally, students applying for admission to the Graduate Program in Latin American Studies (MA) should have a previous degree (BA or BS) in Latin American Studies or related disciplines (i.e., History, Literature, International relations, Spanish), a grade point average of 3.3 (especially in upper-division undergraduate work), and some background in an appropriate Latin American language (Spanish, Portuguese, French).
Students applying for admission to the Graduate Program in Art History (MA) should visit the Edith O'Donnell Institute of Art History for application requirements.
PLEASE NOTE: All decisions regarding funding are made separately from decisions regarding admission. Admission to a particular graduate program does not guarantee financial support.
The Application Process:
Step 1. Fill out an application form. Your application is important to us, so please read the following instructions before you submit your information to UT Dallas. UT Dallas uses its own on-line application form.
- Be consistent in how your name is used in all the documents you submit. Inconsistencies may cause delays in processing your documents.
- You can choose to upload your supporting documents or mail them in for consideration.
- When uploading, only upload one copy of each document and make sure pages are legible.
- When mailing your supporting documents, include your ten-digit UTD-ID number or, if you have not received your UTD-ID number, include your application number at the top of each document.
- You may track the progress of your application by logging on to your Galaxy account (you will receive the information for how to set up this account about 24-48 hours after applying). You will need to use your NetID (password) to access your application status.
Step 2. Upload or send transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate work.
- Please upload/send in official or unofficial transcripts. Official transcripts will be required if you are offered admission.
International students should review the information here for details. Please note that outside credential evaluations are not required or accepted for admission. The Office of Admission and Enrollment performs valuations for applicants with international academic credentials.
Step 3. Write a 650-word narrative essay, which should be reflective rather than factual. Use this essay to address your academic interests and goals and then to indicate how you believe the specific Graduate Program and degree for which you are applying might enable you to pursue them.
Step 4. Applicants seeking admission to a doctoral program in the Fall 2021 semester and beyond must submit an academic writing sample (e.g., seminar paper, critical essay).
In order to upload your supplemental documents:
1. Log into your Galaxy account using your Net ID and password
2. Under the Orion Self-Service link there is a link for the Admissions Forms folder
3. Click on the Admissions Forms folder
4. Click on the Supplemental Admission Docs folder
5. Fill out the form (Last name, First name, UTD ID, DOB) and upload your attachment (Essay)
6. Check the verification boxes and input your Net ID
7. Click Submit.
Although not required, MA and PhD applicants to the Visual and Performing Arts program are encouraged to provide links to their creative works.
Step 5. Request three letters of academic recommendation.
Since recommendations are used for the sole purpose of determining academic potential, you should seek them from your teachers. Applicants who have taken courses at UT Dallas within the past decade are required to obtain letters of recommendation from UT Dallas faculty members. If you have lost contact with former teachers elsewhere, you may submit letters from professional supervisors and colleagues, but purely personal letters from friends or ministers are not helpful for our purposes.
Application Deadlines for Admission to Graduate Programs at A&H
|February 1||Fall (regular admission)*|
|July 1 for 2020 only (all other years: April 1)||Fall (late admission)|
*Prospective students must apply by the February 1 deadline to receive consideration for a teaching assistantship. (Application for TAship also due February 1.)
All supporting documents can be submitted online and uploaded with the application. If you wish to send hard copies they must be sent to the Office of Admissions and Enrollment Services:
University of Texas at Dallas
Admission and Enrollment Services
800 W. Campbell Rd.
Richardson, TX 75080-3021
Each application is considered on its individual merits. You must submit all supporting documents before the Graduate Admissions Committee can review your application.
The Graduate Record Examination is not required, but GRE scores may be requested to augment or clarify a student's academic record.
The Associate Dean for Graduate Studies and the A&H Admissions Committee may require students with background deficiencies in interdisciplinary work to take additional courses at the undergraduate or graduate level to remedy those deficiencies.
Full-time and Part-time Students
Students can pursue the graduate degrees in the School of Arts and Humanities on a full- or part-time basis. Full-time students normally register for nine or more semester hours per term. The School takes care to accommodate part-time study by scheduling both day and night classes, thus allowing students flexibility in organizing individual schedules.
If you have questions about the graduate admissions process and documents, please contact [email protected].