Normally students applying for admission to the Graduate Program in History (MA) should have a previous degree (BA or BS) in History or related disciplines and a grade point average of 3.3 (especially in upper-division undergraduate work).
Normally students applying for admission to the Graduate Program in Humanities (MA, PhD) should have previous academic degrees (BA or MA) in Arts and Humanities fields and a grade point average of 3.3 (especially in upper-division undergraduate or graduate work).
Normally students applying for admission to the Graduate Program in Latin American Studies (MA) should have a previous degree (BA or BS) in Latin American Studies or related disciplines (i.e., History, Literature, International relations, Spanish), a grade point average of 3.3 (especially in upper-division undergraduate work), and some background in an appropriate Latin American language (Spanish, Portuguese, French).
PLEASE NOTE: All decisions regarding funding are made separately from decisions regarding admission. Admission to a particular graduate program does not guarantee financial support.
The Application Process:
Step 1. Fill out an application form. Your application is important to us, so please read the following instructions before you submit your information to UT Dallas. UT Dallas uses its own on-line application form.
- As you fill out your application, remember to save every page as you input information and then submit it at the end.
- Be consistent in how your name is used in all the documents you submit. Inconsistencies may cause delays in processing your documents.
- You can choose to upload your supporting documents or mail them in for consideration.
- When uploading, only upload one copy of each document and make sure pages are legible.
- When mailing your supporting documents, include your ten-digit UTD-ID number or, if you have not received your UTD-ID number, include your application number at the top of each document.
- You may track the progress of your application by logging on to your Galaxy account (you will receive the information for how to set up this account about 24-48 hours after applying). You will need to use your NetID (password) to access your application status.
- It can take between 4 – 6 weeks to process applications once all required materials have been received at UT Dallas.
Step 2. Upload or send transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate work.
- Please upload/send in official or unofficial transcripts. Official transcripts will be required if you are offered admission.
International students should review the information here for details. Please note that outside credential evaluations are not required or accepted for admission. The Office of Admission and Enrollment performs valuations for applicants with international academic credentials.
Step 3. Write a 650-word narrative essay, which should be reflective rather than factual. Use this essay to address your academic interests and goals and then to indicate how you believe the specific Graduate Program and degree for which you are applying might enable you to pursue them.
Step 4. Request three letters of academic recommendation.
Since recommendations are used for the sole purpose of determining academic potential, you should seek them from your teachers. Applicants who have taken courses at UT Dallas within the past decade are required to obtain letters of recommendation from UT Dallas faculty members. If you have lost contact with former teachers elsewhere, you may submit letters from professional supervisors and colleagues, but purely personal letters from friends or ministers are not helpful for our purposes.
After you submit your application online, a link will appear at the bottom giving you the option to send out an electronic request form to your recommenders. In the alternative, a recommendation form can be found here. Applicants are not required to use this form.
All supporting documents can be submitted online and uploaded with the application. If you wish to send hard copies they must be sent to the Office of Admissions and Enrollment Services:
University of Texas at Dallas
Admission and Enrollment Services
800 W. Campbell Rd.
Richardson, TX 75080-3021
Each application is considered on its individual merits. It can take between 4 – 6 weeks to process applications once all required materials have been received at UT Dallas.
The Graduate Record Examination is not required, but GRE scores may be requested to augment or clarify a student's academic record.
The Associate Dean for Graduate Studies may require students with background deficiencies in interdisciplinary work to take additional courses at the undergraduate or graduate level to remedy those deficiencies.
Full-time and Part-time Students
Students can pursue the graduate degrees in the School of Arts and Humanities on a full- or part-time basis. Full-time students normally register for nine or more semester hours per term. The School takes care to accommodate part-time study by scheduling both day and night classes, thus allowing students flexibility in organizing individual schedules.
If you have questions about the graduate admissions process and documents, please contact Taylor Nelson or call 972-883-4419.