We look forward to reading your work. To keep our readers and editors happy, please read and follow general and genre guidelines.
As editors and readers, we subscribe to Ezra Pound's philosophy on art.
With each submission, we ask ourselves the following:
(Source: from "Patria Mia." Selected Prose 1909-1965. New York: New Directions, 1973. p. 114.)
- Is this person a serious artist?
- Does the work present what the artist intended it to present, effectively?
- Does [the work] comply with the laws inherent in itself?
- Does the manner fit close to the matter?
General Formatting Guidelines:
- All submitted work must be previously unpublished, which includes personal blogs, social media, online journals, or magazines.
- Text should be 12 pt Times New Roman
- Do not include your name anywhere on the submission document. Please include your name and contact information in the body of your email
- Plays and screenplays should be formatted to industry standards
- We accept simultaneous submissions with prompt notification by email should your work be accepted elsewhere.
- A brief cover letter is appreciated.
- Include a biographical statement of no more than 50 words in the comments page as part of your cover letter.
- We accept .doc, .docx, or .pdf files only; and Tiff files for artwork.
Submission Guidelines by Genre:
- Fiction: one story, up to 5,000 words.
- Poetry: 3-5 poems. Longer poems will be considered, but shorter poems are desirable. Please submit poems as one document.
- Creative Nonfiction: up to 5,000 words.
- Translations: 3-5 poems, or up 3,000 words of prose, can be an actual translation and/or a scholarly essay on translation. Please obtain all necessary permissions prior to submitting your piece.
- Drama: one play or screenplay, up to 5,000 words.
- Visual Art: at least 3 distinct images, including drawing, digital, other 2-dimensional formats, and photography. Please submit your files in high-resolution TIFF format of between 5-8 mbs, 300 DPI.
Submissions that do not adhere to our guidelines may not be considered for publication. Please expect to hear a response from us sometime between February and March. Payment upon publication is 1 contributor copy of the journal. For an idea of what types of material we generally publish, we recommend purchasing and reading our past issues.
Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for updates and more information.