The Dorothy and Herman Abrams Dissertation Research Travel Award
Sponsored by the Dorfman and Kivowitz Families
In July of 2015, the Dorfman & Kivowitz families made a donation to the School of A&H in recognition of their grandparents, Dorothy and Herman Abrams. Herman Abrams, now deceased, was once a graduate student in Arts & Humanities who earned a master's degree from our program. The donation not only commemorates his receiving an advanced degree from A&H but also honors his wife, the late Mrs. Dorothy Abrams, who passed away at the age of 101.
In 2015, Ms. Toni Loftin, Ph.D. student under the direction of Dr. Monica Rankin (Associate Professor of Historical Studies), became the first recipient of this award.
For the 2017-2018 academic year, we will once again award $1,000 to one recipient who will then use this funding for travel associated with his or her dissertation research (e.g., archival research in another location). This money, however, cannot be used for travel to academic conferences. To be eligible, an applicant must meet the following criteria:
1. Applicants must be pursuing a Ph.D. in the School of Arts & Humanities.
2. Applicants must have advanced to doctoral candidacy.
3. Applicants must be U.S. citizens, U.S. permanent residents, or international students.
4. Applicants must plan to graduate after the Fall 2018 Semester.
5. Applicants cannot receive more than one award from this program during the academic year.
6. Recipients must sign a release form, in accordance with the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), allowing UT Dallas to use application material for award purposes.
7. Applicants must include a detailed budget as an appendix to the application.
Applicants must also provide an endorsement from their dissertation chair. A short e-mail to John Gooch from the chairperson expressing his or her support will suffice for this purpose.
The GSC will begin reviewing applications in early October, and we will announce the recipient on Friday, October 19th. The deadline for submission of applications is Friday, October 5, 2018.
The recipient must use the money by May 31, 2019.
Please direct any concerns or inquiries directly to John Gooch at [email protected].
Click here for Financial Aid available to Graduate Students.
Additional Financial Aid is available through the UT Dallas Financial Aid Office.