Areas of SpecializationResearch Administration - Arts and Technology Internet-Based Training and Distance Education Research in Game and Simulation Development University - Corporate Training and Research.
Arts and Humanities Distinguished Chair
Dr. Thomas Linehan is currently the director of the Institute for Interactive Arts and Engineering and the founder of the Arts and Technology programs (ATEC) at UT Dallas. The programs serve 1200 students at BA, MA, MFA and Ph.D. level. These students form groups who are writing the interactive stories of our future. They are made up of animation, special effects, digital sound, and game-based programming, that uses modeling and algorithmic programs to create specified events.
He has a background in both corporate management and educational administration. He has served as a college president, a corporate vice president, a research laboratory director, a professor and a public school teacher. Dr. Linehan has experience in research and development with arts and technology. He has sponsored research projects in serious game design for training troops for the US Army. The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation has funded his work in the professional development of high school teachers.
He has developed premiere degree programs in media arts and animation technology. (Ohio State University's Advanced Computing Center for the Arts and Design, Texas A&M University's Visualization Laboratory and The Ringling College of Art and Design's Computer Animation Program.) The development of the UT Dallas Arts and Technology program is based on these early experiences in educational program development.
Each of these programs provides an advanced computing environment in support of an industry-relevant education. Dr. Linehan has served as a consultant in the development of similar programs in The Netherlands, Germany, New Zealand and Canada.
EducationPhD, Art Education/Computer Animation, Ohio State University, 1981
MA, Art Education/Computer Animation, Ohio State University, 1972
BA, Fine Art, Webster College, 1966
Thomas Linehan in the News
- Arts and Technology Impact on DFW
- UT Dallas to Honor Faculty in Endowed Chairs, Professorships in Investiture Ceremony
- Video Game to Help U.S. Troops Wins New Award
- University Marks Campus Growth in Twin Ceremonies
- ATEC Wins Multiple Honors for Training Games
- Game Creators Have Designs on Making Learning Fun
- Game Trains Soldiers in a Virtual Iraq or Afghanistan
- ATEC Alumnus Builds Career, One Monster at a Time
- Game Design Competition Takes it to the Next Level
- UT Dallas’ Linehan Among Seven to Receive Inaugural Innovations in Education Awards