Taxes | Bursar / Student Financial Services | The University of Texas at Dallas
to Top

1098-T Education Tax Credits

Why did I receive a 1098-T tax form? Am I eligible to claim a tax credit?

You received a form because your higher education expenses may be eligible for federal tax benefits. Our records show that you were enrolled in courses at the University, which were paid for in the tax year in question. UT Dallas uses the “paid” tax reporting method, which means the University will produce a 1098-T tax form based on the amount of paid qualified tuition and fees.

Whether or not you may take advantage of these tax credits depends upon your individual facts and circumstances. The University cannot provide tax advice, so you may want to consult the IRS or a tax professional to find out more about the credits and your eligibility. For more information, visit

How do I obtain my 1098-T form?

1098-T forms will be generated for students who have a valid Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) or Social Security Number (SSN) on file with the Registrar’s Office and who have paid tuition and fee expenses in the tax year in question. If you do not have a TIN or SSN on file with the University, a 1098-T form will not automatically be generated for you. If you would like to obtain a 1098-T form, you will need to submit a SSN Change Request Form and copies of your student ID card and social security card to [email protected].

UT Dallas changed our 1098-T form provider for 2017. 1098-T forms are now available through the following website: Prior year 1098-T forms will eventually be available through this website as well. If you are unable to retrieve a 1098-T form through this website, please email [email protected] to request a 1098-T form.

Why haven't I received my 1098-T form?

In certain situations, a 1098-T may not have been generated for you:
  • If you are a research assistant or teaching assistant (RA/TA) or receive Hazelwood benefits, a 1098-T will not be generated for you.
  • If payments for qualified tuition and fees were not received in the current tax year, those amounts will not be reflected on the current 1098-T. When reviewing your records, please take into consideration actual payment dates. Please note: When enrolling in a payment plan, your tuition and fees for tax purposes will be considered paid as of the date you sign up for the plan. For example, if you signed up for the Installment plan for spring 2019 in December 2018 your tuition and fees will be considered paid in 2018 and reported on the 1098T form for 2018.
  • If a valid Social Security Number (SSN) or Tax Identification Number (TIN) are not on file with the university, you will need to provide a copy of the valid TIN or SSN card to the Registrar’s Office to get a 1098-T processed.
If these situations do not apply to you, a 1098-T should have been generated and mailed to your permanent address listed in Galaxy. For assistance, contact the Bursar Office at (972) 883-2363.