Section 14: Printing and Copying PHI
- PHI in hardcopy format must be disposed of in accordance with Record Retention schedules, and the Disposal of PHI policy.
- Printed versions of PHI should not be copied indiscriminately or left unattended and open to compromise.
- Printers and copiers used for printing of PHI should be in a secure, non-public location. If the equipment is in a public location, the information being printed or copied is required to be strictly monitored.
- PHI printed to a shared printer should be promptly removed.
- Media and hardcopy containing PHI must have access controls during transportation and disposal see Disposal of PHI.