Hiring a Student Employee
Posting a Position
All on-campus hourly (S09996 and S09997) student jobs MUST be posted via CometCareers, and all Research and Teaching Assistant positions will be managed by Human Resources. Departments should use the UT Dallas CometCareers Guide for Employers as a tool to assist in creating job postings. If the department contact does not have a CometCareers account, please email us and include the following information:
- Contact Name
- Organization and/or department (e.g., UT Dallas Career Center)
- Phone Number
Please complete the following fields for all on-campus job postings:
- Number of openings
- Work-Schedule (e.g., M-F, during normal business hours)
- Hours per week
- Employment Start/End Date
- Job description
- Application Instructions (see Reviewing Applicants section for more information)
*"Employment Start Date and End Date" are not the dates the posting will be open.
|Review and Interview Applicants|
All jobs must be posted for at least five (5) business days or until 50 applicants have applied, whichever comes first.
Students can apply via CometCareers, or be directed to follow an alternative process. When resumes are submitted via CometCareers, the department contact will be able to review them in CometCareers. If the department collects resumes in a different manner, please be sure to state these instructions in the "Application Instructions" portion of the job posting. After applicants have been reviewed, the department will be responsible for contacting the student(s) with updates on their application.
The department is responsible for *scheduling and conducting interviews* with students. The Career Center does not prescreen any student candidates. It is recommended that the following items be discussed with students during the interview:
- Detailed description of job duties (beyond those listed in the job description)
- Personal conduct and dress expected of the student
- Hours of operation, student's weekly schedule, and start date
- Rate of pay for the position
It is recommended that each interviewee fill out a Criminal Background form (CBC) at the time of interview.
*CometCareers to schedule on-campus interviews with applicants. Please contact the Student Employment Coordinator for more information.
Once the department selects their candidate, follow the steps below:
- Have the student complete the top portion of the Criminal Background Check (CBC) form - the bottom section will be completed by the Career Center.
- Complete the Hiring Proposal Form
- Both forms can be emailed to the Student Employment Coordinator, mailed via campus mail - mailstop SSB 31, or delivered in person to our office – SSB 3.300.
Internationals Students note: If a student needs a Social Security Card, the Hiring Proposal Form will be used as their offer letter, and must be taken to the International Student Services Office to obtain the necessary paperwork for Social Security Administration.
Once the Career Center has received the CBC and Hiring Proposal Form documents, the following procedures will take place:
- The Career Center will submit the CBC to the Police department.
- After receiving a cleared CBC, the Career Center will extend the offer via email to the student based on the information given in the Hiring Proposal Form, and the contact person will be copied on communications.
- If the student accepts the position, they MUST come to the Career Center to complete the following forms ON or BEFORE their first day of work:
- Direct Deposit
- Conditions and Regulations
- Selective Service Verification
- Personal Data Form
- Departments will be responsible for completing the *Personal Action Form (PAF) and any forms that will give the student specific access to department materials (i.e., CAR forms), and submitting each document to the designated office.
If the student does not complete their I-9 within three (3) business days of their start date, monetary penalties could be assessed. After the paperwork has been completed, the Career Center will submit it to the Payroll Office.
*All PAFs for work-study students MUST be sent to the Career Center before they are sent to the Budget Office.
|Equal Employment Opportunity|
The University of Texas at Dallas is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, pregnancy, age, veteran status, genetic information or sexual orientation.