Externship/Job Shadowing Program
Take advantage of this opportunity to connect with UT Dallas students!
A partnership between the UT Dallas University Career Center (UCC) and UT Dallas Alumni Relations, the Explore the World of Work (WoW) Program provides students with professional experiences in their chosen career fields. Undergraduate students are matched with UTD alumni and friends in a variety of careers across all industries and academic disciplines. Students will apply skills learned in the classroom in a structured and professional work environment without the long-term commitment of an internship or full-time job.
The Explore the WoW Program is traditionally held during the week of spring break. The next Extern Program takes place March 16 – 20, 2020. However, the University Career Center does support and facilitate other informal externships throughout the year so please let us know how we can connect you with our talented students for additional job shadowing opportunities.
Benefits received are invaluable. Not only will students gain real world career knowledge and experience, they will also expand their career network. Some students find their externship has led them to find a lifelong mentor, an internship, and even a full-time employment offer.
Participating as an Externship/Job Shadowing Sponsor could help a student clarify career goals and introduce them to a possible future employer...you!
Possible externship/job shadowing activities
- Tour the facility/building
- Sit in on staff meetings
- Observe customer/client interactions, if applicable
- Conduct informational interviews with colleagues and/or key staff members
- Assist with projects or general office tasks
- Overview of company mission and procedures
- Visit with the Human Resources Department and/or meet with recruiters
- Introduce extern to a new employee to give him/her a “fresh perspective”
- Meet with UT Dallas Alumni who work at the organization
- Provide marketing materials about company/organization for student
- Demonstrate industry-specific software or tools
Explore the WoW Timeline
- November 13, 2019: Registration and position listings available online for all students to apply
- January 8, 2020: Deadline for employers to submit externship opportunities
- January 13, 2020: Position listings available online for all students to apply on Handshake
- February 5, 2020: Deadline for students to apply to externship opportunities on Handshake
- February 10 & 11, 2020: Mandatory student screening interview with UCC staff
- February 24 or Feb 27, 2020: Attend a mandatory orientation session (if selected)
- March 16 – 20, 2020: Spring Break - Explore the WoW
- April 3, 2020: Post-externship evaluations are due for students and employers
- April 24, 2020: Employer Appreciation and Student Recognition Luncheon
For more information, please send an email to the University Career Center or call us at 972-883-2943.