The Education Abroad staff is committed to guiding students through all stages of the study abroad process. Meeting the UT Dallas student travel requirements and securing authorization prior to participation is a vital step. The programs abroad can vary in academic need, location, length and many other criteria. Once a program is selected, sign in to the online portal – Comets Abroad (powered by Terra Dotta) to begin.
Students in the Naveen Jindal School of Management (JSOM) must meet with JSOM’s Study Abroad Office located in JSOM 11.105 before applying to an Education Abroad program.
All students traveling to international locations on a university sponsored business (i.e. conference, research or other type of event) are required to submit all appropriate travel documents and the Student Travel Authorization – Exhibit B14-F (prepared by student’s administrative department) a minimum of three (3) weeks prior to departure. For complete details visit International Travel Authorization for Students.
Comets Abroad portal:
- Go to http://utdallas-ea.terradotta.com/
- Login using your NetID and Password
Clicking “Apply Now” on any programs starts the application process
- You can review programs before clicking “Apply Now”
- You may need to know your program dates and location before clicking “Apply Now”
After starting an application, you will see a list of actions with detailed instructions
- This list will change depending on the status of your record
- Check back to ensure you have completed all requirements (see below for possible required documents)
All requirements must be completed 3 weeks prior to departure via the Comets Abroad portal.
- Education Abroad Student Application (online questions)
- Agreement of Fees (online questions)
- Copy of Passport
- Medical Information Release – Exhibit B4-C
- Foreign Travel – Adult Participant Release & Indemnification – Exhibit B4-E
- Export Control – Exhibit B16EXC
- Submit Foreign Contact Information (Must include physical address & contact phone number)
- Register Airline Itinerary on International SOS(ISOS) website, and upload screen shot of ISOS registration
Additional requirements for class registration.
IMPORTANT: The approval process can take 2-3 weeks, and runs in accordance with the
Academic Calendar for registration deadlines. To avoid late registration fees, plan accordingly.
- Undergraduate Course Pre-Approval form *
- Graduate Course Pre-Approval form *
- Internship-Independent Study Enrollment Form
*For best handling of form, download and complete, then sign electronically. Electronic form with digital signatures can be routed via emailed without printing.
All students are required to attend an in-person Pre-departure Orientation.
Exchange program nominations:
- Fall – February 15
- Spring – July 15
- Summer – December 15
*Limited availability of summer exchange programs
- Fall – July 15
- Spring – November 15
- Summer – April 15
- Student must be in academic good standing to participate in abroad programs, and must have a minimum 3.0 for UTD Exchange Programs.
Credit Hour requirements:
- Students are required to have completed two full time semesters prior to participation in study abroad programs, exchange programs, independent studies, or internships.
- Students must have a minimum 30 UTD credit hours for exchange mobility.
- Graduate students must have a minimum 9 UTD credit hours for study abroad/exchange mobility.
- UTD Customized/Faculty Led program requirements are set by the sponsoring department.
- Students must complete the application process in the Comets Abroad portal prior to departure.