Public Policy and Political Economy
— Addison Larson
Welcome to PPPE! Our nationally recognized, interdisciplinary program offers training opportunities for undergraduate, masters, and doctoral students from internationally renowned faculty. We offer six degrees and two certificates:
- BA and BS in International Political Economy
- MS in International Political Economy
- BS in Public Policy
- Master of Public Policy
- PhD in Public Policy and Political Economy
- Graduate Certificate in Program Evaluation
- Graduate Certificate in Economic and Demographic Data Analysis
With more than a half a million employees retiring from the government in the next five years, global components playing a larger role in business and non-profits seeking people with a broad perspective, our degrees will make you highly competitive in today's workforce and in the policy arena.
We prepare our students for research, teaching, and practitioner positions in academia, government, and industry. Our degrees offer internships, and provide critical analysis and communication skills that will help students succeed, regardless of constant changes in the political and economic world. Our program also allows our MPP and PPPE students the opportunity to gain GIS skills from the top ranked GIS program into their public policy curriculums. Read about our current students here.
Faculty include UT Dallas’ only member of the National Academy of Sciences, Brian J. L. Berry, and two winners of the UT system Regents' Outstanding Teaching Awards, Jennifer Holmes and Clint Peinhardt. Read more about our faculty accomplishments here.
Current Student Achievements
- Our students have also received 50% of the university’s Fulbright, Boren, and Critical Language Scholarships since 2009.
- Our masters students have received two Presidential Management Fellowships since 2011 and two have been accepted into the Pathways Internship Experience Program (IEP) with the U.S. Department of State since 2013.
- Since 2009, IPE and MPP students have represented almost 16% of the Archer Fellowships to study public policy and obtain internships in Washington D.C. recipients (compared to being less than 1% of the student body). Archer placements have included the World Bank, the US Department of State, The Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, the White House, and The Center for American Progress, among others.
- Since 2009, dozens of IPE students and PPPE students have received International Education Fund Scholarships (IEFS) for study abroad.
- Finally, in addition to jobs, perhaps the most telling success for students is professional publication. On average, two PPPE students get published every year.
Our alumni have had great success in job placement in government, industry, and in academia.
Recent Masters Placements:
- Foreign placement, such as Asesor at Alta Consejería Presidencial para Programas Especiales – Colombia, the Ministry of Public Administration – Mexico, and Finance and Business Comptroller for Grupo Coril – Lima, Peru, Proparco (Groupe Agence Française de Développement) – Brazil.
- The federal government, including the Department of Labor, Department of Housing and Urban Development, Foreign Service Officer, US State Department, Health and Human Services, etc.
Within the U.S., there are doctoral graduates on the faculties of universities at a variety of levels: University of Washington, University of California Berkeley, Arizona State, University of Alaska, Vanderbilt, James Madison University, Sam Houston State University, and others. Recent academic PhD placement include the following:
- Anáhuac University, Mexico City
- University of Alabama Huntsville
- Durham University – England
- SAIT Polytechnic, Canada
- Texas Tech
- Bates College
- BRAC University in Dhaka
- Rutgers Camden
- Arizona State University
- Kyonggi University, Korea
- Keimyung University, Korea
- University of Texas at Tyler
- Rhode Island School of Design
- University of Baltimore
Recent PhD policy or government placement:
- World Bank
- GAO (multiple positions)
- U.S. Dept. of Commerce (multiple positions)
- International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI)
- Bureau of Economic Analysis
- National Pension Service of Korea
- Comerica Bank
- Office of the Inspector General, U.S. Department of Health & Human Services
- Department of Labor Statistics
- National Chi Nan University, Taiwan
Examples of recent internship placements:
- International Rescue Committee
- BBVA Compass
- Exxon Mobil
- Texas Instruments
- U.S. Department of State
- Dallas Regional Chamber- Economic Development
- International Rescue Committee
- Dallas Regional Chamber
- Travelers Insurance Company
- GROW North Texas
Our recent IPE BS/BA graduates have been admitted to the following law schools:
- Harvard University
- University of Chicago
- New York University
- University of Michigan
- Duke University
- George Washington University
- University of Texas at Austin
- University of California, Los Angeles
- Vanderbilt University
- University of Southern California
- Washington University
- Columbia University
For more information about our substantive research opportunities for our students, please feel free to contact the following faculty members.
- Development: Murray Leaf, Jonas Bunte, Lloyd Jeff Dumas, Donald Hicks, Jennifer S. Holmes, Simon Fass
- International Conflict and Security: Jennifer S. Holmes, Lloyd Jeff Dumas
- International Political Economy: Clint Peinhardt, Jonas Bunte, Lloyd Jeff Dumas, Euel Elliott, Karl Ho, Murray Leaf
- Business, Technology & Innovation: Donald Hicks, Euel Elliott, Karl Ho
- Social & Health Policy: Richard Scotch, Dohyeong Kim,
- Program Evaluation: Dohyeong Kim, Simon Fass