Fill out this checklist before you begin planning your event so that you’ll have the information handy. Don’t worry if you don’t know the answers to some of these questions – just keep them in mind as you’re going through the planning process itself.
Begin by checking the Comet Calendar and the academic calendar to be sure your event does not conflict with others.
Microsoft Teams Events
Speakers or Special Guests:
Will you need tables, chairs, etc.?
- If so, what do you need?
- How many do you need?
- How would you like to have them arranged?
Will you be serving food or beverages?
- Do you plan on serving alcohol? Note: University policy prohibits alcohol on campus, with the exception of events sponsored by the U.T. System or component institution. This does not include registered student organizations.
- Do you expect any guests with special dietary needs?
- Will you use an outside vendor or Chartwells (campus food services)?
Will you need any audio/visual equipment?
- If so, what equipment will you need?
- Will you need Internet or phone service in the room?
- Will you need someone to help you run the equipment?
Preparing the Room
Will you need to have the room cleaned? Before, afterwards, or both?
How complicated is your set-up? Will you need to reserve extra time to accommodate for it?
Is your event on the weekend or after-hours?
- If so, will you need to hire guards?
- Will you need to have someone unlock the room?
- Will you need heating/air conditioning?
How will your guests know of the event?
What parking accommodations will your guests need?
Will you need to arrange travel to/from the university?
Will you be giving out gifts to your speakers and/or attendees?
Will you need to print up nametags for your guests?
Are you expecting guests with disabilities?
- If so, what special accommodations need to be arranged?
Is your event going to be private?
- If so, will you need to print up invitations?
- Are VIP’s present?
- Is social media appropriate?
Is your event going to be public?
- Have you contacted Media Relations for an assessment of your event?
- Is there a news making speech or announcement that will be made?
- If so, will you need to print up flyers or advertising posters?
- Will you want to run an ad in the UTD Mercury?
- Add the event the Comet Calendar
- Important: Be sure to put all furniture back in place and out of the traffic flow post-event. Failure to do so can result in injury and block emergency exit routes (especially for the visually impaired).