Student Transition Programs strives to create an inclusive and welcoming environment for all students, families, and guests as we provide the framework for students to learn and develop, regardless of race, religion, ethnic origin, disability, gender identity or sexual orientation. Our office respects the profound ways that our community members of various cultures, backgrounds, and identities enrich our university community.
Below are resources where you can learn more about diversity and inclusion on our campus, as well as assistance if you are struggling.
- The Office of Diversity and Community Engagement
- The Multicultural Center
- The Galerstein Gender Center
- The Counseling Center
Freshman Orientation is an exciting first step to becoming part of the UT Dallas community. This two-day program gives an overview of opportunities and resources available to you on campus.
During Freshman Orientation you will have the chance to:
- Meet other students and make new friends
- Meet with academic advisors and discuss classes and majors
- Complete course selections and registration
- Learn about academic expectations
- Learn about the University’s services and resources
- Familiarize yourself with the UT Dallas campus
- Meet with administrators
Freshman Orientation Registration
The Freshman Orientation office is currently working remotely. If you have any questions please email us at [email protected].
If you are a student starting classes in spring 2021, please email [email protected] to gain access the orientation modules in eLearning. See the below section titled Online Orientation Modules for more information on the orientation modules.
Students entering in fall 2021 must attend a Freshman Orientation and complete the eLearning modules. Freshman Orientation registration for students entering in fall 2021 will open in late February 2021. Freshman Orientation modules will be available for students entering in fall 2021 in May 2021.
To be eligible to register for classes you must complete the Freshman Pre-Orientation Online Module and the Freshman Orientation Online in eLearning. The modules will cover important information about UT Dallas. If you recently accepted your offer of admission, it can take 7-10 days before you have access to eLearning. Follow these steps to access the modules:
1. Students entering in spring 2021, after you have accepted your offer of admission, please email Freshman Orientation to gain access to the modules. Students entering in fall 2021, the orientation modules will be accessible in your eLearning account in May 2021.
2. Log into the UT Dallas eLearning site with your NetID and password.
3. Under My Organizations select Freshman Orientation
4. Select the Freshman Pre-Orientation Online Module and follow the prompts, complete this assessment with a score of 100%. Select The Freshman Orientation Online Module review this orientation slideshow, and complete the ending assessment with a score of 100%. Spring 2021 students, if the modules are not in your eLearning account, please email Freshman Orientation.
5. Contact Freshman Orientation to notify us that you have completed your eLearning modules and have your orientation hold lifted, once your hold is lifted you are able to contact your academic advisor and register for classes.
Click on a school of study to show a list of available majors.
Erik Jonsson School of Engineering and Computer Science →
Naveen Jindal School of Management →
Health Care Management
Human Resource Management
Information Technology and Systems
Supply Chain Management
School of Arts and Humanities →
Latin American Studies
Visual and Performing Arts
School of Arts, Technology, and Emerging Communication →
Arts, Technology, and Emerging Communication
School of Brain and Behavioral Sciences →
Child Learning and Development
Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology
School of Economic, Political, and Policy Sciences →
Geospatial Information Sciences
International Political Economy
School of Interdisciplinary Studies →
School of Natural Sciences and Mathematics →
Before Freshman Orientation, you MUST resolve any outstanding items on your To Do List or holds for residency, required vaccinations (including meningitis), or other required documents. For detailed information about remaining To Do Items or Holds on your account, check your Student Center by logging into the Galaxy Portal and following the links to Orion.
All incoming freshmen are required to take a math placement exam in order to enroll in any Mathematics course at UT Dallas. Please go to the Undergraduate Education Math Placement website for more information.
Students with majors in the School of Engineering and Computer Science, the School of Natural Science and Math, or the School of Arts, Technology, and Emerging Communication may need to or want to take Computer Science courses. Please read this information about Computer Science placement testing.
Any student enrolling in a Spanish, French, or German course at UT Dallas needs to visit the School of Arts and Humanities' Language Placement website for more information.
Texas Success Initiative (TSI)
If you have received an automated email regarding the Texas Success Initiative (TSI), there is a possibility you will need to comply with the State of Texas TSI mandate. TSI does not affect your admission to UT Dallas, but it can affect course placement and registration. If necessary, you will need to take the TSI Assessment. The test can be taken at UTD prior to your orientation once you graduate high school or the morning of the second day of your freshman orientation. An email will be sent one month prior to orientation with detailed information on how to register for testing. You can find more information about the Texas Success Initiative here.
You will be able to register for classes during Freshman Orientation. The more familiar you are with the courses being offered, the easier and smoother the advising and registration process. We recommend that you review the UT Dallas class schedule on the Course Lookup website before your scheduled orientation.