Order of Omega was founded at the University of Miami in 1959 by a group who felt that individuals in the Greek community should be recognized for their service to the fraternity system and the university. The idea of an honorary for fraternity men at the University of Miami is attributed to Parker F. Enright, the advisor to fraternities at the time. Enright later accepted a position at the University of Pittsburgh, where he was responsible for the founding of the Omega chapter at the University of Pittsburgh in the spring of 1964.
The original constitution was approved by the organizations committee at the University of Miami on April 14, 1959, the recognized founding date. The first member class was initiated the following fall.
The chapter at Miami had long desired for their organization to expand to other colleges and universities. The chapter gave its sanction to dean Patrick W. Halloran to make initial inquiries and to further grant charters to universities that were accredited and interested in the purpose of The Order of Omega. On February 9, 1967, a chapter was chartered at the University of Southern Mississippi. The Order of Omega voted to become a co-ed organization in the spring of 1977. There are now more than 500 chapters in the United States and Canada, with approximately 10 new chapters chartered each year.
The Pi Xi chapter was chartered on April 12, 1997 at UT Dallas. The 16 founders are: Enrique Echaniz Jr, Eddie Berbarie, Nicole R. Leutwyler, Janio Lee, Laura Meek, Keri Barnes, Stephanie Morgan, Leslie Rodahl, Jason J. Jones, Howard Hutton, Sandra Salinas, Carletta McClendon, Brandi Watts, Michael Danforth, Kevin Mullin, Christi Occhipinti, with Patty Atchley being the founding advisor.