New Students

photo of UT Dallas students

Items to Bring

As you ready yourself to go off to college, it is important to be prepared for unexpected illness or injuries.

  • Thermometer
  • Fever reducer/pain relievers
  • Cough syrup/expectorants
  • Anti-diarrheal such as Imodium or Pepto-Bismol
  • Antihistamines such as Benadryl or Claritin for allergies or rashes
  • Heating pad for muscle injuries
  • Hand sanitizer
  • Lozenges for sore throat
  • Band-Aids
  • Triple antibiotic ointment for minor cuts
  • Rubbing alcohol
  • Reusable ice pack

Get copies of your medical and prescription drug insurance card, and learn about your health insurance. Healthcare, especially medical specialty and hospital care, can be extremely expensive.

Things to Know

Bacterial Meningitis — Per state legislation, all Texas college students must receive a vaccination or booster against bacterial meningitis. The vaccine is required for students of public and private colleges, living both on and off campus. Please contact the Office of the Registrar if you have questions about this requirement.

Insurance — Ask your parent or guardian to give you a tutorial on your insurance plan, especially as it relates to preferred providers and any requirements for pre-authorization for certain services or post-notification of hospitalization.

Family History — Learn about your personal and family medical history.

  • What medications do you take and why?
  • Are you allergic to any medications?
  • Have you had any significant illnesses, injuries or surgeries?
  • What chronic illnesses run in your family?

Prescriptions — Make a plan for managing any prescription drugs you take on an ongoing basis. How will you get your prescriptions renewed? When the label on your medication says "no refills remaining," you'll need a renewal, which usually requires an appointment with a healthcare provider. Carefully monitor refills left in your prescription so you have time to schedule an appointment without running out of your medication. Your pharmacy may contact the healthcare provider who prescribed the medicine when you run out of refills to request instructions.

Students under the age of 18 must have a signed and notarized Consent for Treatment Form on file with the Student Health Center in order to receive medical services.

Accredited by the Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care, Inc.