Frequently Asked Questions

Do you have other questions? Visit our Contact Us page for further assistance.

Housing Agreement

The following dates are considered the Term of your Agreement if your University Housing Terms and Conditions is received and accepted by University Housing and you are provided with a housing assignment:
  • Summer Agreement Only: May 12, 2020 - July 31, 2020 or 72 hours after written cancellation notice is provided, whichever comes first
  • Academic Year Agreement: August 16, 2019 - May 11, 2020
  • Mid-Year Spring Only Agreement: Date TBA - May 11, 2020
  • Other Period Contract: Start date through May 11, 2020

The University of Texas at Dallas provides housing on an individual contracted basis. We offer housing options based on one bed per student, and we do not allow a student to reserve more than one bedroom except in limited cases for family housing, if available. If a student wishes to live alone, a student may select from the available 1-bedroom unit options on campus.

Moving In

  • Alarm clock
  • Bed sheets
    • The University Commons residence halls have Twin XL beds
    • Canyon Creek Heights North has Twin XL beds
    • Canyon Creek Heights South has full-sized beds
  • Cleaning supplies (toilet cleaner, laundry detergent, dish detergent, etc.)
  • Computer or laptop
  • First aid kit
  • Plunger
  • Shower curtain/liner
  • Small tool kit (screwdriver, hammer, a selection of nails and screws, etc.)
  • Toilet paper
  • Toiletries
  • Towels

University Village and Canyon Creek Heights apartment residents should bring kitchen supplies (pots, pans, plates, utensils, can openers, grocery and pantry items, etc.)

University Village apartment residents should also bring furniture (bed, couch, dining table, etc.)

Residents may bring a vehicle to campus. Parking decals are required and may be purchased from the Parking Office. The apartments and residence halls have designated parking locations. Visit the parking website for more information.

Rent Payment

All University Housing charges are placed on the resident’s university bill and are paid through the Bursar. Please contact the Bursar for questions about your bill or payments.

Living on Campus

Please contact a Peer Advisor, one of the Peer Advisors on call, or one of University Commons' 24-hour front desks.

If a student wants/needs help with any kind of emotional distress after hours, they can call the Counseling Center's after hours helpline, "UTD TALK" at 972-883-8255.

Yes, residents have access to all clubhouses, pools and study centers in the housing community.

Visit UT Dallas Dining Services for information about dining on campus.

UT Dallas Police provide frequent patrols throughout University Housing. University Housing management does not assume any legal obligations for personal injury, loss or damage to personal property. You and/or your parents are encouraged to carry appropriate insurance to cover such losses.

Anyone with a cell phone can register via Galaxy to receive text alerts in the event of an emergency or disruption to normal university operations.

For sexual assault emergencies after business hours, please call the 24-hour rape crisis hotline at 972-641-7273. You will be connected with a sexual assault advocate from the Dallas Area Rape Crisis Center.

The purpose of this policy is to establish procedures for the university's response to reports of missing residential students as required by the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008. This policy applies to all students who live in University Housing. Download the Missing Residential Student Form (pdf).

Living with a Roommate

Talk to your roomate about the issues you are experiencing. If nothing is resolved after speaking to your roommate face-to-face, speak with your Peer Advisor.

A roommate agreement is a document all members of the apartment/suite/room abide by during their time living in the space. Contents of the agreement are determined by the roommates and cover multiple areas, including cleaning tasks, taking out the trash and guest policies.

At the beginning of each academic year, Peer Advisors will coordinate with residents to complete a roommate agreement for the apartment/suite/room. If a new resident moves in, Peer Advisors will work with the student to set up or reevaluate the roommate agreement as necessary.

Getting Involved

Residential Life sponsors two student organizations in University Housing:

Both organizations provide students with leadership opportunities in the residence halls and apartments.

The Peer Advisor application process begins at the end of the fall semester, with applications due in January. If you are interested in becoming a PA, contact [email protected]. Check out our Facebook page for details.

Room Reservations

Registered student organizations can reserve the Residence Hall South Classroom, Residence Hall South Multipurpose Room, and Residence Hall South Rotunda. Student organizations must make the reservation through the UT Dallas Room Reservation System.

Students may reserve a room in the residence hall in which they reside. Contact Caitlin Wright to make the reservation.

Departments can make a room reservation by contacting Caitlin Wright.