First-year students who want to live on campus reside in one of our University Commons residence halls. First-year students are students who graduate high school in May or June prior to their first semester at UT Dallas.
Applicants who do not turn in a completed application will not be eligible to receive a housing assignment. On campus housing for first-year students is not guaranteed. UT Dallas does not have a live-on requirement for first-year students.
The priority application deadline is April 15, 2020. All completed applications received prior to that deadline receive priority based on the date of application. After April 15, consideration is given based on the date of application and proximity to campus.
- Before you can apply for housing, you must be admitted to the University. Visit the Enrollment Services website to apply for admission to UT Dallas.
- Complete your housing application online. Please note the $100 application fee is non-refundable.
After Submitting Your Application
Your application will be given priority based on availability and according to the time and date that your application is considered complete. A complete application consists of the application fee being paid, the profile information is submitted, and the housing agreement is signed. For students who will not be 18 years old prior to move-in, a parent or legal guardian will need to sign the housing agreement on their behalf.
Suite assignments for the fall semester will be sent to your UT Dallas email address in July. Names and emails of roommates will be included. Assignments will not be released over the phone.
First-year students who are admitted for summer or spring will be provided with move-in information from University Housing staff.
- Roommates are assigned based on gender and space availability. All buildings are coed; individual suites are not, unless a student opts into the gender inclusive housing program.
- Every effort is made to place students who mutually request each other in the same suite. Applicants will be given priority based on availability and according to the date and time the completed application and fees are submitted (prior to April 15).
- If no roommate is requested, students will be matched based on answers to questions on their housing applications and the date of their completed application.
- Assignments are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation or veteran status.
- Living Learning Community selection is given priority over roommate requests.
- Residential Life reserves the right to make housing assignment changes as necessary.
Your move-in process will begin with arrival to campus at the Visitor's Center. Upon arrival, you will sign in and pick up your keys. Next, you will receive directions to your residence hall, where our move-in staff will be ready to unload and move all your belongings.
Peer Advisors will be onsite to help you move into your new home and answer questions that may arise.
Move-in times vary. All first-year students will be contacted in advance regarding their assigned date and time of move-in. For more information, contact [email protected] or 972-883-7430.
First-Year Housing Policies
Cancellation Policies 2019-2020 academic year
Important changes to University Housing's cancellation policy will go into effect for the 2019-2020 academic year. Read more.
Prior to occupancy:
- All cancellations must be made in writing and sent to the Residential Life Office at [email protected].
- In all cases, the $100 application fee is nonrefundable.
- If you lose your student status during any time of the agreement, if you fail to give proper notice, or you wish to cancel your agreement, you must cancel in writing to the University Commons office.
Residence Hall Policies
The maximum occupancy for three-bedroom suites is three occupants.
It is recommended that students obtain personal rental insurance. UT Dallas and University Commons management do not assume any legal obligations for personal injury, loss or damage to personal property.