Automatic Visa Revalidation

You may be eligible to leave the U.S. and re-enter with a U.S. visa that is expired if you meet the following conditions:

  • You are in valid F or J status
  • You are traveling to Canada, Mexico or adjacent islands
  • You will stay outside the U.S. for less than 30 days
  • You have a valid, unexpired I-94
  • You are not a citizen of Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan or Syria
  • The purpose of your trip is not to apply for a renewal of your U.S. visa

To use this benefit:

  • Tell the port of entry official your intention as you leave the U.S.
  • If you were given a white card I-94 the last time you entered the U.S., do not surrender it. You will need to present it to the port of entry official upon re-entry.

Remember, if you apply for a visa renewal while outside the U.S. you are not eligible for this benefit. If you are denied the renewal and your current visa is expired, you will not be allowed to re-enter the U.S.