International Student Orientation
Congratulations on your admission to UTD! International Student Orientation provides valuable information to ease your transition to UT Dallas. During International Student Orientation you can discover campus resources, learn more about studying at a US university, and learn how to register for classes, and maintain your status as an international student.
International Student Orientation is required for all F-1 and J-1 visa holders and exchange students enrolling at UT Dallas for the first time. It is also required of students changing their visa status to F-1. Once you attend International Student Orientation and complete the mandatory Pre-Arrival Modules, your orientation registration hold will be removed. All students who attend International Student Orientation will be charged a $50 International Student Orientation fee, which will be billed along with your tuition and fees.
International Student Orientation Dates - Summer 2019
- Wednesday, May 15, 2019
- Wednesday, May 22, 2019
*International student Orientation registration is now open! Click here to register
International Student Orientation Dates - Fall 2019
- Tuesday, July 30 - Wednesday, July 31, 2019
- Tuesday, August 6 - Wednesday, August 7, 2019
- Tuesday, August 13 - Wednesday, August 14, 2019
*International student Orientation registration is now open! Click here to register.
Before attending International Student Orientation, students should complete the Pre-Arrival Modules. These modules are required for all new, F-1 and J-1 international students. If you are transferring from another US institution, or you a current UTD student these modules are available to you as a resource, but you are not required to complete them.
After you accept your offer of admission, it can take up to 2 weeks before you have access to the Pre-Arrival Modules in eLearning. You will receive an email from the Intercultural Programs Office with instructions once you have been given access.
- As a Graduate or exchange student, you will attend a regularly scheduled International Student Orientation. At this orientation you will learn information regarding maintaining your visa status, health insurance, American culture, and more.
- Exchange students will have an additional session on Day 2 of International Student Orientation. For questions, contact Education Abroad at [email protected]
- Freshman (First-year undergraduate student)
International undergraduate freshman students are strongly encouraged to attend Freshman Orientation. A special meeting at these orientations will fulfill your International Student Orientation requirement. Check your Freshman Orientation agenda for timing and location of this meeting. If you are an Honors student, and are required to attend Honors Orientation, email [email protected] to discuss more about your orientation requirements. For questions regarding Freshman Orientation, please email [email protected]
- Transferring my SEVIS record from another US college or university
Undergraduate transfer students are encouraged to attend Transfer Student Orientation. A special meeting at this orientation will fulfill your International Student Orientation requirement. Check your Transfer Orientation agenda for timing and location of this meeting.
International Student Orientation is required of all F-1 students their first semester at UT Dallas. If you have not attended an International Student Orientation previously, a hold will be added to your UT Dallas record once you apply for change of status. The hold prevents class registration, and can only be removed once the requirement is fulfilled.
There are two ways for change of status students to fulfill the International Student Orientation requirement:
- Attend any regularly scheduled International Student Orientation, hosted at the beginning of each semester.
- Attend a Changing to F-1 Status Workshop, hosted monthly. Note: this option is only for continuing (not prospective) UTD students
International Student Orientation FAQs
- What is the agenda of International Student Orientation?
- Summer International Student Orientation starts promptly at 9:00am and will end around 2:00pm. All students should be checked in no later than 8:45am.
- Fall 2019 International Student Orientation occurs over 2 days, with both days mandatory. Day 1 starts promptly at 9:00am and will end around 2:00pm. All students should be checked in no later than 8:45am. Day 2 starts promptly at 9:00am and offers several different session each hour that students may choose to attend based on their interest. These sessions offer topics such as OPT/CPT information, finding on-campus jobs, and more.
*Please note, students cannot miss more than 15 minutes of International Student Orientation. We recommend that students plan flights, transportation, or other details accordingly.
- How do I confirm my International Student Orientation date?
- If you have successfully submitted the online form, your registration has been received. You will receive a confirmation email, with details about International Student Orientation, 3 weeks before your International Student Orientation date and 2 more times prior to your chosen session.
- How do I change my International Student Orientation date?
- Resubmit the online registration form. Only your most recent submission will be taken into account
*Please note, you will only be charged the International Student Orientation fee if you attend the session.
View our Frequently Asked Questions page, or email us at [email protected]
Policies of Orientation
- Check your email for an “Orientation Reminder” two weeks prior to your orientation date.
- To change your orientation date, resubmit the online form for your desired date. Only your most recent registration will be taken into account.
- If a student is more than 15 minutes late checking in for orientation, they must attend the next scheduled session.
- The $50 Orientation Fee is assessed along with a student’s tuition and fees.