If you resided in the United States between Jan. 1 and Dec. 31, 2017, you must file a U.S. tax form.

Did you receive any U.S. Source Income (wages, taxable scholarships, housing stipends, cash awards, etc.) in 2017?


You must complete and mail IRS Form 8843. Form 8843 and instructions are found on the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) website.If you would like guidance on this form, please view the video below:

Notes about Form 8843:

  • Item 9 = The University of Texas at Dallas, 800 W. Campbell Road, Richardson, TX 75080, 972-883-2111.
  • Item 10 = Josephine Vitta, 800 W. Campbell Road, SSB34, Richardson, TX 75080, 972-883-4189.

You must file a U.S. tax return with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). UT Dallas students have two options to get tax help:

  1. Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA). VITA volunteers offer free, in-person tax preparation service by appointment only. Service is first-come, first-serve, so it is best to plan ahead and visit as soon as you can. View the VITA website for hours of operation, location, as well as the necessary paperwork to prepare for your visit.
  2. Foreign National Tax Resource (FNTR). This is an online tax preparation software, specifically for nonresident alien students. To gain access to the software, you will need to complete the 2017 FNTR Access Code Request Form. Codes will be sent out every Thursday starting March 1, 2018.

Here are some common tax forms you may receive:

Form Name Reason Sender
W-2 If you received wages (any employment) in the United States during 2017. Sent by your employer. UT Dallas uploaded W-2 forms to Galaxy – “Staff Tools” in late January. Contact your payroll department if you have not received this form.
1042-S If you received a taxable scholarship, award, or housing stipend from a university. We recommend that you do not complete your tax return until you know if you will receive a form 1042-S or not.
Note: Email [email protected] if you are unsure whether or not you will receive this form from UT Dallas.
1099  If you had interest income from a bank or investment. Sent by your bank or investment company.  Have on-hand when preparing your taxes, although as an international student, the instructions may not require you to report this interest income. Follow instructions on Internal Revenue Service (IRS) forms.
1098-T Available to students who are treated as a US resident for tax purposes More information can be found on the Bursar Office website: www.utdallas.edu/bursar/taxes/ WARNING: If you are a non-resident for tax purposes you are not eligible to receive the educational credits associated with the 1098-T form, even if the form was mailed to you.


Note: If your U.S Source Income comes from UT Dallas, fill out the Request for FNIS Access form on the Bursar website, if you have not done so already. FNIS stands for Foreign National Information System, and is a web-based software that helps ensure you are taxed appropriately. If you have already filled out this form, you do not need to do so again. More information about FNIS is available on the Bursar website.

How to Mail Your Tax Return:

  • If you need stamps, stamps are available at the UT Dallas Bookstore or Comet Card Office.
  • Address mail to (see sample below):
    Department of the Treasury
    Internal Revenue Service Center
    Austin, TX  73301-0215
  • A blue USPS mailbox is located in Lot A


Who to Contact for More Information
If you have any additional questions about tax filing, contact the UT Dallas Tax Compliance Office:

Also you can view the 2017 Tax Season FAQ Form for International Students

IRS Scams
During tax season, there are several phone and email scams which target international students. These scams involve persons falsely representing themselves as a representative of the International Revenue Service (IRS), USCIS, or another government agency.

Here are some tips to protect yourself against scams:

  • File your tax return as early as possible.
  • Know the IRS will not contact you by email, text, or social media.
  • Do not give out any personal information (ex. Social Security Number, bank account number, credit card information, etc.) over the phone or via email.
  • Shred paper copies of your tax returns and financial documents when no longer needed.
  • If you receive a suspicious phone call or email, do not respond until you verify with the appropriate people that it is true. Scams can be reported to the: