Insurance Requirements — International Students only
The UT System requires that all enrolled international students holding F1, F2, J1, or J2 non-immigrant visas are required to maintain medical, evacuation and repatriation insurance coverage while enrolled at a UT System institution. The UT Student Health Insurance Plan (UT SHIP) provides this coverage to international students. Academic HealthPlans administers UT SHIP, which is underwritten by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas.
Each semester, international students holding these visa types are automatically enrolled in UT SHIP, and the insurance premium is charged directly to their tuition and fee bills unless they apply for and are approved to receive a waiver based on acceptable alternate insurance coverage. The alternate plan must meet or exceed the coverage requirements defined by Regent Rule 50402.
International students who wish to apply for a waiver will do so through the electronic application system. Instructions will be sent through email each semester.
The insurance coverage requirement applies to all international students holding F1, F2, J1, or J2 non-immigrant visas even if they are granted Texas residency status for tuition purposes.
UT Dallas has the discretion to determine what constitutes sufficient documentation demonstrating approved health insurance coverage. Acceptable proof of coverage must be written in English and money listed in U.S. dollars.
Please note: Starting Fall 2015, H-visa holders, and any other visa types not listed above, are no longer considered international students for insurance purposes. H-visa holders are still eligible for insurance and may enroll in coverage as domestic students. Please visit Get Insurance for more information.
2017-2018 Waiver Requirements
The UT System student health insurance requirements comply with the federal Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA). Alternate insurance plans being submitted for waiver consideration must comply with the federal PPACA.
Please note that insurance waiver requests granted in the past may not meet the requirements of the federal PPACA. We believe UT SHIP is a good value for the coverage it provides, and it meets the requirements of the new law. We encourage UT Dallas students to remain enrolled in UT SHIP.
UT SHIP covers 100 percent of the cost of all services received in the UT Dallas Student Health Center. Students with UT SHIP coverage will experience no out-of-pocket expense for services received in the Student Health Center. The Student Health Center will submit claims for the services with Blue Cross Blue Shield directly.
Waiver Period and Process
Waiver period dates will be posted each semester. Only waiver applications submitted through the electronic waiver system during the posted waiver period will be considered for a waiver for each respective semester. If you do not submit a waiver or if your waiver submission is not approved, you will be enrolled in UT SHIP automatically.
The Health Insurance Premium fee may be waived for international students who are:
- Sponsored by the U.S. government, a foreign government recognized by the U.S., or certain international, government sponsored organizations, if:
- the sponsor has guaranteed payment of all health care expenses in writing, and
- has provided coverage through a PPACA-compliant plan.
- Enrolled in the U. T. System Employee Group Health Plan.
- Enrolled in another PPACA-compliant U.S. employer-provided plan.
- Enrolled in a PPACA-compliant individual plan purchased from the exchange at healthcare.gov.
- Enrolled exclusively in distance learning programs or classes. (Student must reside outside of the United States for the semester. Student will need to request an Attestation Form by email in lieu of submitting an online waiver).
UT System Requirements
- Dates of Coverage
- Unlimited maximum benefits
- No pre-existing condition limitation
- $500 or less deductible
- Repatriation expenses of a deceased individual in the amount of no less than $25,000; and
- Expenses associated with any required medical evacuation of an individual to the individual’s home country payable in an amount of no less than $50,000
Waiver Application Process
If you meet the waiver eligibility and have an alternate health insurance plan, please follow these instructions to apply for the waiver of UT SHIP. All waiver requests must be submitted by the designated deadline for the respective semester.
- Have an electronic copy of your insurance card, policy benefits summary, and proof of medical evacuation and repatriation coverage (if you have this coverage) available.
- Go to utdallas.myahpcare.com/waiver.
- Verify you meet the waiver criteria, and if you do, select the large button at the bottom to continue.
- If you have previously set up a waiver account, select the 'Student Login' link:
- Login - UT Dallas 10 digit student ID number. This number may be found on your Comet Card. (Note: Do not use your NetID)
- Password - the password you previously chose when you initially created your account.
- If this is your initial waiver account setup, select the ‘New Student Registration’ link, complete the registration form, and then select the 'Register' button to continue.
- Select the red button from the ‘No, I do not want the insurance’ section on the waiver home page.
- Complete the waiver form and attach copies of your scanned insurance documents. (Tip – use a unique name for each document attached.)
- Select the ‘Submit Waiver’ button at the bottom of the waiver form. (You will receive an auto-generated email that will advise you that you have completed the waiver submission. If you do not receive this email, your waiver submission was not successful. Please log back into the waiver system and resubmit your waiver.)
- Watch your UT Dallas email - Academic HealthPlans will send an email to your UT Dallas account with the outcome of your request
- If the waiver request is complete and your policy meets the minimum requirements including sufficient medical evacuation/repatriation coverage, UT SHIP fee is waived in full.
- If the waiver request is complete and your policy meets the minimum requirements excluding sufficient medical evacuation/repatriation coverage, the medical insurance fee is waived and a fee for repatriation/evacuation coverage is assessed. The summer repatriation/evacuation fee is $16.
- If the waiver request is incomplete or your policy does not meet the minimum requirements, the email will indicate that you are not eligible for a waiver.
- Check your account - If you received an email stating your insurance fee is waived, check your Orion account. The insurance waiver will be applied to your current balance within 7-10 business days. If your tuition and fees are already paid in full, the insurance fee is reimbursed by the Bursar's Office through direct deposit or mailed check within 10 days of waiver approval. For more details regarding reimbursements, please see Student Financial Services.
Spring 2018 Insurance Waiver Period
The waiver period for spring 2018 is November 28, 2017 to January 12, 2018. All documents must be in the system no later than 11:59 p.m. on January 12, 2018. Click here to submit your insurance waiver.
Need help? Please see the Waiver Submisison Quick Reference Guide to ensure you successfully submit your waiver.
Please Note: International students who want to waive their UT SHIP enrollment must submit a new waiver application each semester.