Driving in the U.S. requires a valid U.S. driver’s license and sufficient driver’s insurance. Insurance requirements vary by state. Your insurance must meet the requirements for the state in which you reside. If you own a vehicle, there are additional requirements.

  • In Texas, driver’s licenses are managed by the Texas Department of Public Safety.
  • If you have a valid license from your home country and your country recognizes an equivalent U.S. license as valid, you may drive up to one year on the out-of-country license.
  • To get a Texas driver’s license you will take written and driving exams and show proof of insurance.

NOTE: F-1 students whose Optional Practical Training (OPT) Employment Authorization Document (EAD) has expired, but are pending approval of either a 17-Month OPT Extension or H-1B Cap-Gap Relief, will be unable to renew their license until the new status is approved.


  1. For information about obtaining a Texas driver’s license, pick up a brochure in the International Student Services Office (ISSO).
  2. See the Texas Department of Public Safety website for driving laws.
  3. See the Texas Driver’s Handbook, page 3-1 for information about Texas insurance requirements.
  4. Car owners must register their vehicle.

Parking at UT Dallas

You are required to purchase and properly display a valid UT Dallas parking permit if you will park a car on campus. This requirement also applies to parking at:

  • University Village apartments
  • University Commons residence halls