F-1 Transfer In to UT Dallas
F-1 Transfer Students
Read the Guide for International F-1 Transfer Students if you are transferring to UT Dallas from another U.S. institution.
Transfer students must meet the following criteria:
- Have gained admission to UT Dallas.
- Are F-1 students at another U.S. institution (currently enrolled, or just graduated, or completed their program, or on OPT).
- Plan to transfer their SEVIS immigration record to UT Dallas.
Apply for the UT Dallas I-20
The following documents are needed to apply for the UT Dallas I-20 form:
- The UT Dallas Financial Affidavit Form
- The UT Dallas Transfer Clearance Form
- Supplemental financial support documents, if applicable. All supplemental funding documents must meet the requirements listed on the UT Dallas website.
- Copy of the passport ID page. This is the page that shows your name, photo and expiration date.
- SEVIS immigration record. This is not a document, but your electronic immigration record. Talk to the immigration advisor at the school that holds your SEVIS record about the transfer out process.
When to Submit
Submit your documents and SEVIS immigration record to the UT Dallas ISSO before the start of classes. If you are traveling abroad over the summer, submit your documents early enough to re-enter the US with your UT Dallas I-20. You may view the UT Dallas academic calendar here to determine when the start of the semester will begin.
When Must A Transfer Student Start Classes
A student must begin classes at UT Dallas in the next available semester or within 5 months, whichever comes first, of the transfer release date or the OPT end date.
Summer session may be required for students who will transfer in to UT Dallas before completing a full academic year (two long semesters).
If you will not be starting classes within 5 months of your transfer in date, you will need to leave the United States with your transfer pending I-20.
How to Submit
To submit your documents to the ISSO, visit https://icomet.utdallas.edu.
- Login using your UT Dallas NetID and password.
- On the menu to the left, locate and click 'Prospective Students'
- Click 'New Admit: F-1 Student'
- Complete all of the forms on Step one ‘Requesting Your UT Dallas I-20', click F-1 I-20 Request
- Under Student Information, enter your first name and last name as written on your passport
- Enter your @utdallas.edu email address
- Enter your UTD ID number
- Select your Intended Educational Level
- Select Initial I-20 or Transfer I-20 to UT Dallas
- If Transfer I-20, enter the SEVIS ID number you will transfer to UT Dallas
- Select Yes or No if you have dependents who will need F-2 I-20s
- Under I-20 Information, select your Country of Birth
- Select your Country of Citizenship
- Enter your Passport Expiration Date (Month/Day/Year)
- Upload your Passport biographical page
- Read and check the box of understanding
- Click Submit
- Click F-1 Financial Affidavit
- Select the option that best fits your situation
- Select the source of your financial support (choose all that apply)
- Upload financial statements/bank documents here (Please combine all documents into a single .pdf file)
- If you will be requesting dependent I-20s, you must show you have enough funds to support yourself and dependents
- Upload your UTD Financial Affidavit form with Sponsor Financial Certification completed
- Type your full name and enter today's date
- Click Submit
- Click Dependent I-20 Request
- Answer the yes or no question, “do you intend to bring a spouse or a child(ren) as your dependent(s) with you to the US?”
- If no, you may hit submit and proceed to the next form
- If yes:
- Type your full name
- Enter today's date
- Select Spouse, Children, or Spouse and Children
- Enter your dependent's information and upload their passport
- Click Submit
- Click Transfer Clearance.
- Answer the yes or no question, “do you intend to transfer your I-20/SEVIS record from another US institution to UT Dallas?"
- Select yes and:
- Upload your completed Transfer Clearance Form
- Enter the SEVIS School Code of your current school
- Select your SEVIS Release Date
- Enter the full name of your Previous School
- Enter First and Last Name of DSO at your previous school
- Enter the email address of DSO at your previous school
- Click Submit
- Proceed to Step 2 ‘Receive your UT Dallas I-20
- Under Please Choose One Option To Receive Your UT Dallas I-20, click your preferred option to receive your I-20.
- Choose either Complementary Express Mail through eShip Global, Pick Up Myself or Authorize Someone to Pick Up Document, or UT Dallas Departmental Pick Up
- If you selected Express Mail, review and select ‘I Understand’ for the statement and Submit
- Click Access eShipGlobal
- You will be redirected to the eShip Global website
- Register for an eShip Global account or logon with your previous account
- Select Receive Documents from University
- Enter your Student ID
- Enter your Country
- Enter Student Name or Contact Name
- Enter Address
- Enter City
- Enter State/Province
- Enter Zip Code/Postal Code (if applicable)
- Enter Phone Number
- Enter Email Address
- Select I-20 under Type of Document
- Click Continue
- Select a Mailing Service, click Continue
- You have completed your express mail request.
- If you selected Pick Up Myself or Authorize Someone to Pick Up Document, choose Myself or Authorize Someone to Pick Up Document, click Submit
- If you chose Authorize Someone to Pick Up Document, enter authorized person's First Name and Last Name, click Submit
- If you selected UT Dallas Departmental Pick Up, enter the name of the Academic Department, the first and last name of the Department Contact, the email address and phone number of the Department Contact, click Submit
Reporting the Status of Your Visa Application
If you are applying for F-1 visa, Keep the ISSO informed about the status of your visa application by submitting the ‘Visa Update’ from located in the 'New Admit: F-1 Student’ request in iComet. If you are unable to attend UT Dallas for the semester listed in the UT Dallas I-20 that you currently hold, submit the ‘Visa Update’ form as well to request a deferral UT Dallas I-20.
If for any reason, you need a reprint or update to your UT Dallas I-20, submit a request by using the ‘Initial/Transfer I-20 Reprint’ in iComet.