Maintain Your Form I-20
F-1 regulations require students to possess valid, up-to-date Form I-20. There are a variety of situations that may arise that require a student to update the information on his or her I-20.
Official Change of Name
If your name has officially changed, you must report that change to the UT Dallas ISSO and update your Form I-20. Submit an I-20 Reprint request through iComet with a copy of the ID page of your passport showing the new name. For all of your school records to match, you will need to submit a copy of the new passport to the Registrar's Office, as well.
Change of Finances
You may update the finances portion of your Form I-20 at any time. Submit:
You may add dependents (spouse and/or children) to your Form I-20. Submit:
- I-20 Reprint or Update Form,
- UT Dallas Financial Affidavit and proof of funds* for yourself plus $5,000 for a spouse and $3,000 for each child. See the Estimate Expenses for I-20 to determine the amount of funds needed for the I-20.
Contact an international student advisor for more information regarding dependent issues, such as change of status or obtaining an F-2 visa.
See F-2 Dependents for more information.
Change of Major
Change of Level
The U.S. Department of Homeland Security refers to certain changes between programs as a “change of level.” If you fit in one of the following situations, you must acquire a Change of Level I-20 to maintain F-1 visa status:
- Graduating from one degree program and starting another within five months.
- Moving from one degree program to another on a different educational level. For example, moving from a PhD to a Master's program without completing the PhD.
- Completing OPT and starting a new degree program within 5 months.
- Moving from OPT to a new program before the OPT end date.
See the Change of Level page for more information.
F-1 students are required to complete their academic programs within an estimated period of time. If you are not able to complete your program before the end date on your I-20, you may be eligible for an extension of stay. Submit:
See Extension of Stay for more information.