Change of Level
J-1 students wishing to move from one educational level to another must apply for a Change of Level – Matriculation. A Change of Level – Matriculation is only possible for students moving to a higher educational level*.
The following matriculation changes are possible for J-1 students at UTD:
- Bachelor’s to Master’s degree
- Bachelor’s to Doctoral degree
- Masters to Doctoral degree
To apply for a Change of Level – Matriculation at UTD a you may submit the following to the ISSO:
- J-1 Student DS-2019 Request Form.
- Proof of financial support for the J-1 student for the entire length of their new academic program.
- Proof of financial support for any J-2 dependents ($5000 for a spouse, $3000 for a child).
- Processing time is 5 business days. You will be sent an email when the extended I-20 is ready for pickup.
*Reverse matriculation (e.g. Doctorate to Masters) cannot be processed as a Change of Level – Matriculation but Change of Category which is not frequently granted by Department of States.
Please contact a J-1 advisor to obtain advice with respect to your specific situation.