Required J-1 Documents

During their entire stay in the United States, J-1 student are required to maintain the following documents:

Valid DS-2019

If your DS-2019 needs to be updated or extended please contact your program sponsor. If your program sponsor is UTD, you may submit the J-1 Student DS-2019 Request Form or J-1 Student Service Request Form to the ISSO. You can find these forms on the ISSO website here

Valid I-94

Upon arrival at a U.S. port-of-entry you should have been issued an I-94 for J-1 status for D/S (duration of status). This may be a white card stapled to your passport or an electronic I-94 that can be downloaded from If you find an error on your I-94 you may visit a CBP (U.S. Customs and Border Protection) Deferred Inspection Office. Too find the office nearest you visit

Valid Passport

While in the United States, in J-1 status, your passport must always be valid for at least six months into the future. If your passport will expire you may renew it in your home country or with your home countries Embassy or Consulate in the United States. To find your Embassy visit

Valid Visa

A valid J-1 visa is only required to enter the United States. If it expires while you are in the U.S. it has no impact on your J-1 status. You can only renew your J-1 visa at a U.S. Consulate or Embassy outside the United States. A valid J-1 visas is required for re-entry to the U.S. from you home country. A valid J-1 visa is not required for trips of 30 days or less to Mexico, Canada or the adjacent islands. For more information For more information on Automatic Visa Revalidation visit