J-1 Employment

J-1 Students are eligible for two types of employment:

Documents Required:

For all of the above types of J-1 employment submit the J-1 Student Services Request Form to the ISSO. Required forms can be found on the ISSO website.

For Academic Training:

  • Submit the J-1 Academic Training Program Recommendation Form.

For Economic Necessity:

  • Submit a letter verifying the economic need.

Social Security and Work Eligibility:

For each type of J-1 employment you must receive authorization on your DS-2019 before being eligible to apply for a Social Security Number or begin employment.