J-1 Exchange Visitors may transfer from one program sponsor to another if the purpose of the transfer is to complete the academic objective for which he or she was admitted to the United States. The exchange visitor must also remain in the same participant category and not exceed the maximum duration of program participation for their category.
The transfer requires coordination between the following parties:
- The J-1 student
- The current institution’s host department
- UTD’s host department
- An International Student Advisor at the ISSO
Once all parties have confirmed that the transfer is to complete the academic objective for which the J-1 student was admitted to the United States and that the student will remain in the same participant category the following needs to take place:
- The student must request that the International Student Advisor at the Transfer-out school transfer their electronic Student Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) record to UTD.
- The International Student Advisor at the Transfer-out school must electronically transfer the J-1 students SEVIS record to UTD on the agreed upon effective date.
- The student must submit the following to the ISSO:
- J-1 Student DS-2019 Request Form
- Proof of financial support
- Copy of the information page of the student’s passport
- Dependent’s passports if applicable
Once all documents for the transfer have been received by the ISSO, their UTD DS-2019 will be issued within two business days.