Traveling Outside the U.S. in J-1 Status

If you plan to travel outside the U.S. and return in J-1 status, you must have the following documents upon re-entry:

Application Process for DS-2019 Travel Endorsement

  • Complete a J-1 Student Service Request form found here on the UTD website and submit it to the ISSO with your most recent DS-2019.If you are not able to bring your original DS-2019 and J-1 Student Service Request form to the ISSO you may mail it to:The University of Texas at Dallas
    International Student Services
    800 W. Campbell Rd., SSB34
    Richardson, TX 75080-3021
  • The ISSO will send you an email when the DS-2019 is ready for pickup, within one business day of submission.

You have two options to obtain your endorsed DS-2019:

  • Pick it up in person or e-mail to authorize a friend to pick it up next business day. Provide their full name. You or your authorized person must bring a photo ID.
  • Request it be mailed to you via express mail

If the information on your DS-2019 is not current or you wish to add dependents you will need to submit the J-1 Student DS-2019 Request Form or J-1 Student Service Request Form to the ISSO and proof of financial support if applicable.


Traditionally, upon every arrival to the U.S. a visitor was issued an I-94 Arrival/Departure Record in the form of a white card stamped by a port of entry official. Now many visitors will be told to obtain their I-94 information online. To access the information, the visitor goes to and completes a brief form requiring information from the visitor’s passport. Both versions of the I-94 are valid. If after submitting the online form you get an error message, try again using a different format of your name. For example, enter it as it appears in your passport, then as it appears on the U.S. visa. Print a copy of the I-94 for your records. You will need it for a variety of uses, such as obtaining a driver’s license or Social Security card.

If the online information is incorrect or cannot be found, a visitor can obtain a new I-94 at the local Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Deferred Inspection office. The Dallas CBP office is located in D/FW airport Terminal D, Level 1., at

3200 East Airfield Drive DFW Airport, TX 75261.Office hours: M-F8:30 a.m.-2:00 p.m. You must call 972-973-9846 to set an appointment.

Visa Renewal

In order to enter the U.S. you must have a valid, unexpired J-1 visa in your passport. Once inside, you will hold J-1 status. If you are a J-1 student and complying with the regulations pertinent to your status you are eligible to remain in the U.S. until you reach the end date on your DS-2019 or until the end of your academic program, whichever comes first. The expiration of the visa in your passport has no effect. Once you leave the U.S., however, you will need a valid, unexpired visa to return.