J-2 Employment


  • J-2 dependents are eligible to apply for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) from United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) to work in the United States.
  • They may be granted work authorization by USCIS if the employment is not to support the J-1 student.
  • If approved the J-2 may work in any job, in the United States, for part-time or full-time employment.
  • The EAD may be issued for up to one year at a time.
  • The J-2’s employment is only valid if the J-1 is maintaining status.
  • Each renewal of the J-2’s EAD requires an additional application to USCIS.

Application Process

Compile the following documents:

  • Form I-765;
  • Form I-765 fee;
  • 2 photos  – The instructions to Form I-765 state that the photos must have been taken no more than 30 days before filing the form;
  • Copy of the current DS-2019 of the J-2;
  • Copy of the current DS-2019 of the J-1;
  • Copies of Forms I-94 of both the J-1 and J-2;
  • Letter from the J-2 stating why the employment is desired, indicating the source and amount of support for the principal participant, and specifically stating that the income derived from employment will not be used for the support of the J-1 exchange visitor. A J-2 does not need to demonstrate financial need to receive employment authorization.

Mail the application to:

Social Security

  • In order to obtain a Social Security Number (SSN) and card, the Social Security Administration (SSA) requires  J-2 dependents to provide proof of valid J-2 status and work authorization.

Step 1: Proof of  Work Authorization

  • A J-2 may apply for an SSN if they hold a valid Employment Authorization Document (EAD).

Step 2: The Social Security Office

Submit all the following to a Social Security Administration Office:

  • A completed Form SS-5, Application for a Social Security Card;
  • At least two documents that establish the your age and identity including a passport and one additional document establishing identity;
  • Form I-94 (or CBP I-94 record printout if admitted with an electronic I-94);
  • Form DS-2019; and
  • Proof of employment authorization

We suggest you take the originals and a copy of your immigration documents. The SSN card will be mailed to the address you list on Form SS-5. If you use the ISSO address, we will email you on the day we receive your card. The process usually takes two to three weeks, though it can be longer if your immigration documents require further inspection.

Social Security Administration Office

The SSA Office located closest to UT Dallas is:

10824 N. Central Expressway
Dallas, Texas 75231
1-800-772-1213 (phone)

You can conveniently use public transportation to reach the SSA Office:

  • Take the Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART) campus shuttle to the George Bush Turnpike DART rail station.
  • Ride the DART rail station to the Walnut Hill train stop.
  • Take the 502 DART bus to the Social Security Administration Office.

To plan your trip, please visit the DART website for current schedule.