J-2 Dependents

A J-1 student in valid status may request for a spouse and/or children to join him or her as J-2 dependents.

  • J-2 status is limited to spouses and children, no extended family or servants.
  • J-2 dependents are allowed to study and work in the U.S. In order to work, the J-2 will have to apply for work authorization from USCIS by filing form I-765.
  • J-2 children are allowed to attend U.S. public schools (Kindergarten-12th grade).
  • A J-2’s status is dependent on the J-1. Should the J-1 lose his or her status or leave the U.S. the J-2 status also ends.
  • J-2 children lose their J-2 status once they marry or reach 21 years of age. If the J-2 child wants to remain in the U.S., he or she should apply for an independent status prior to the end of the J-2 status.

Add J-2 Dependent

Submit the following to the ISSO:

Provide the following to your dependents for their J-2 visa interview outside the United States or Change of Status application inside the united states:

  • Original J-1 DS-2019
  • Copies of J-1’s DS-2019, passport, visa, I-94
  • Marriage or Birth Certificates
  • Proof of Financial Support
  • J-1’s UTD Transcript
  • If approved for the visa, the J-2 dependents may join the J-1 student for part or all of the J-1’s stay (with exception of adult J-2 children mentioned above).
  • Note: J-2 dependent must be covered by sufficient medical and repatriation insurance for the duration of their stay in the U.S.

Useful Information for J-2 Dependents: