Visa Categories Other Than F or J

The majority of students at UT Dallas hold F and J student status, however we have many students in other non-immigrant categories including E-2, H-4, L-2, and others.

Change of Status to F-1

If you are considering changing to F-1 status, you may find the ISSO Change of Status Guide helpful. It provides general information about the two methods of changing status, procedures and timelines.  Please be aware that while USCIS may post processing times of 3 months of less, processing for a change of status commonly requires approximately 6 months, so plan ahead.

There are dozens of U.S. visa categories. The following are the most commonly found at UT Dallas among the student population.

For information about international faculty and researchers contact the Human Resources department.

Category Description Degree Study Allowed Campus Work Allowed Proof of Work Authorization
B-1/B-2 Tourist or business traveler No No N/A
E-1/E-2 Investor dependent Yes Yes USCIS Employment Authorization Document (EAD)
F-1 Student Yes Yes F-1 status (valid I-20)
F-1 OPT Student No Yes USCIS Employment Authorization Document (EAD)
F-2 Dependent Yes, Less Than Full Time No N/A
H-1B Skilled employee Yes No N/A, unless H-1B obtained through UTD to work at UTD.
H-4 Dependent Yes No None. Common for students to change to F-1. Cannot be employed until change of status is approved.
J-1 Exchange visitor Yes Yes Written permission from ISSO
J-2 Dependent Yes Yes USCIS Employment Authorization Document (EAD)
L-1 Company transfer Yes No N/A
L-2 Dependent Yes Yes USCIS Employment Authorization Document (EAD)
TN NAFTA employee Yes No Status contingent on outside employment
TD NAFTA dependent Yes No N/A